Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #1 
RiceFish

Is my tank considered low, medium or high light?

I have the topfin 5.5 gallon tank and i'm using the ZooMed Ultra Sun 6500k/10 watt/5" bulb.

Would my tank be considered low, medium or high light?
Im thinking it would be med-high but not exactly sure.

Also, would be dosing excel and flourish be overkill for the tank?
Should i just leave it at lights and no excel or flourish?
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #2 
Nothingness

What are the dimensions of your tank. Tank hight plays a big role in determing light levels. Also is it a florescent (T5 or T8 or T12) or incadesent bulb?

I would hold off on the ferts for now and see how the tank establishes it self. If your using the NPT approach it should receive enough nutrients from the soil.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #3 
gorillakev

Low tech isn't it? Thats less than 2 watts per gallon. Hows you current setup substrate and plant wise, and lighting.

Im actually doing 5 wpg on my 5 gal npt which some consider med tech/ low tech since I'm not co2 dosing but I'm fertilizing 3 times a week.

You got to pay attention to your plants before you fertilize just to see what to fertilize with. Your plants really show what kind of nutrient deficiency they have.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #4 
RiceFish

I'm exactly sure what you're asking in terms of bulb all I know is that it's the ZooMed Ultra Sun 6500k one lol. I'm just using regular gravel i got from petco.

Dimensions are 16.1 L x 8.4 W x 13.6 H

I currently have jungle val, micosword, java fern, wisteria and pygmy chain sword

At first I dosed a bit of excel and flourish for a week or so and my wisteria was doing really well.

Shortly afterwards I stopped dosing because brown algae started growing everywhere. As of now my wisteria seems to be melting, the chain swords are sort of brown, the jungle val and microswords are fine, and my java fern is still growing. I also have some sort of this clear film on top of the water.

My lights stay on for about 7 hours a day.

Are the plants not getting enough light? I don't think it would be too many nutrients because my betta eats all of his food and there is little to no waste. So the question is did the brown algae start growing because of too many nutrients or is it because I stopped dosing with flourish and excel? Any additional help is appreciated :D

Here is a picture of a tank as you can see most of the brown algae is on the white gravel and glass
Attached Images

RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #5 
Nothingness

I meant is your light a florcent tube or a standard light bulb? Also get a mystery or apple snail and they will help to eat the algae for you.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote