Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #1 
eemmais

Do I need a filter in a QT tank?

I have a 20 gallon community and I want to add 3-4 more tetras. I have a spare 10 gallon and 50 watt heater, but I don't have a filter. I can buy one but I would prefer not to right now, I don't really have extra money. So would 3 glowlight tetras be okay in an unfiltered 10 gallon? How often would I need to change the water? Thanks.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

If you are diligent on maintaining the water quality with water changes, I suppose you don't NEED a filter. However, it's certainly not advisable to not filter the tank. In the event you have to treat the tank with something, you won't be able to circulate the water. You can get a cheap filter for the job - in my opinion it would be wiser than spending the money on new fish.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I'm thinking with tetras it may be an issue of oxygenating the water more than providing a cycled environment in a quarantine tank.

Do you have an airstone or something to provide some surface agitation? Not sure how much oxygen in the water tetras require.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

I don't think 3 little tetras are going to make a dent in the oxygen content between water changes. However, an air pump can easily and cheaply be converted into a filter.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote