Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #1 
percyfyshshelley

First female for new sorority

So I'm starting a sorority--33 gal planted. I really wanted to fill it with aquabid beauties but I just don't have the funds for 10 or so Aquabid fish plus all the transhippings fees etc. especially when I can get a female betta for $3 at the LFS.
So I was at petland picking up some stuff and obviously not planning to buy any fish but went over to look anyway. It was so sad I seriously almost cried; there were about 12 fish left from a shipment of maybe 30 from about 6 weeks ago. They all looked really good when they first came in, but now they are all in rough shape, diseased and dying. Two were dead in their cups. I've been to this petland a few times in the past 6 weeks and it's been so depressing watching these beautiful fish deteriorate. I've already rescued 4 of them (including my little dorsal-finless buddy) and I just wanted to take the rest of them.
Anyway, sorry for the rant... Back to my female story. I noticed one of the cups was empty, which made no sense, because if one had died they would've just taken the whole cup away. then I saw a little dark thing just under the lid. It was a fish! Stuck there. I took the lid off and poked her back in the water and she was still alive. Obviously she was making a valiant attempt to jump to freedom out of her filthy cup, thinking there's just got to be something better out there.
So I walked around a little more, then came back, and she had done it again! So she obviously had to come home with me and be my first sorority girl.
She is very stressed and has no color, but looks like she might be purple and red one day. She's in qt, active and eating, but still clamped and sad:(
Just got home, in her nasty cup.

Day two

Day three

percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #2 
Elsewhere

Wow... She certainly is special! What a story! She really has potential to get even more gorgeous than she already is!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #3 
Splendens17

Yeah clamped, but I think we all know you will make a big difference to this fish. Can't wait to see her In the future! As the alpha of the sorority :D
Splendens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #4 
SamJustice

Awesome. Can't wait to see her nice and happy in her new home. =3
She's already lookin happy to be out of that filthy cup.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh my gosh. That poor baby! You're such a wondrous person!!! I went to a PetSmart by my college and walked out crying. All of the bettas were in horrid condition, but I literally didn't have any money at the time. People were walking by and saying that the fish were too sick to buy. I think that's what made me angriest. I just wanted to scream at the employees. I'm so glad that you got her. I can't wait to see her colors shine through.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #6 
Goodbettabest

I'm so happy you bought her! I am determined to stop going to the aquarium section of my local pet store. I just can't stand to see all those beautiful fish so unhappy. I may have to stop by there just one more time...next week....to see if that beautiful white HM that has been there for weeks is still there....
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #7 
MoonShadow

Awwww what a cutie!! Great job bringing her home! I'm sure she is incredibly greatful!!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote