Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas are so much fun to watch and interact with. I'm totally addicted:). I have 5 and would like to have one more. lol Or maybe a dozen more. Haaa
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #22 
fishyinpa

Lmao! I love this lil guy already. If i had room id so get more! haha. Alas my furry animals have taken over the rest of my room so im done for. Oh well.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

You'll get hooked! Pretty soon one will not be enough and you'll want more and more. lol
Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #24 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyinpa View Post
Oh hmm...good idea....do i need ammonia to do it or can i do it some other way. I read bout using fish flakes? I did get a jar of that in the package deal i got with the 5.5 tank but obviously not gonna use it lol. If not,thas okay Ill do it the ammonia way lol. So what you are telling me is,that I cycle the filter and then stick it back in his tank,and then his tank will be cycled? Is that right lol. Or i pour the cycle water in his? Eh so confused. Sorry. Heh. Also what other food can i give Fishy? Like other than betta bits....some kinda worms i think? I read they like a variety,so just wondering what i can try. Can i get another brand of betta bites or is that just the same thing lol. ummm...Well im going to petsmart to look for a gravel vac and silk plants for Mr Fishy,yay! :)
If you cycle the 2.5 you only need to move the filter over when it is done. The "benificial bacteria" that colonize in a tank mostly grow on surfaces like the filter and gravel, not in the water column. The amount of bacteria that will grow in the filter should be enough to support one betta, just be careful to keep everything wet during the move. You can use fish food, I just like ammonia better because it takes less time because you don't have to wait for the ammonia to build up.

As for food, a good betta pellet or flake should be his staple diet. You can then supplement with frozen or freeze-dried (I like frozen better because it is more nutritious and you don't have to soak them) bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia.

Hope that helps.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #25 
fishyinpa

Ohhh ok thanks! Makes sense now lol. Oh freeze dried is no good? I found some daphnia at the fish store but it was fd. More to learn once again....ha...
Old 12-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think freeze dried is ok if you pre-soak it in tank water so it won't expand in the betta's stomach and cause problems. But the frozen IS more nutritious.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #27 
fishyinpa

ooh okay. I gave him some. It did soak for awhile in the water before he even touched it. So i guess its okay. I made another post if you could look at that lol. Thanks.