Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 
10asartin

Betta freaks out at new heater

I just purchaed a new heater for my 2 gallon tank. It is a 25 watt and is maintaining the temperature at 78F. However, I have noticed that each time my betta swims close to the heater he spazzes out and kicks up gravel as he quickly swims to the other side of the tank. He isn't doing any flaring and he has done this even with the lights out (I can hear him kick the gravel). I have touched the heater to see if it is too hot and it feels perfectly fine, in fact it feels cooler than the one I had before (He loved sitting against the old heater).
I really don't want to switch back to the old heater because it fluctuated the temperature too much. The only possible thing I can think of that would cause him to freak out is the little green/red light on the side of the heater, but it kind of seems silly that a light would cause that kind of reaction.

Has anyone else experienced this with their betta?
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #2 
bniebetta

He may just be picky and it is unfamiliar to him. One of mine knocked down a certain decoration a few times when I first put it in until he got used to it. If I were you, I would try to hide it behind a plant or something. Give him a couple of says to see if that will help, and watch for signs of stress. IF he cant handle it after a little while or gets too stressed out, then I guess he will just have to be cold haha :p
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #3 
VJM

What brand is it? Top Fin heaters sometimes leach chemicals into the water.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #4 
10asartin

It is a Tetra brand heater. I placed some silk plants next to it and that definitely helped. I think he just had to get used to it because this morning when I checked on him he was swimming up against it. Shew he's such a diva! But i still love him
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #5 
bniebetta

Don't mean to rain on your parade.... but I had trouble with that heater.. Keep an eye on it, it didnt really keep my tank at 78.. more like 76 haha :p
Old 03-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #6 
10asartin

I am just now noticing that same problem with mine, 76F not 78F. Grrr
Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #7 
kyle89

I have read that same problem from several people about the tetra heater
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #8 
bniebetta

I just got this heater, and I am really pleased with it so far. it hasnt dropped below 80 in the two days I have had it, and the price is pretty comparable to the tetra :) shipping took a while for me though so if you are going to take the tetra back i would keep it until you get the new one. http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...le-heater.html