Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #1 
MadMay

Introduced Pair

Raj: Orange Male dbtpk white on the end of ventral

Sora: Butterfly female HM (carries copper) picked this female as she did not have split ventrals like my other two hm I ordered did she also has a shorter anal fin. Dorsal isnt great but Im hoping the dbtl from the sire will improve the dorsal in fry.

1pm set up 10 gallon placed male in about an hour or so later placed female in glass cup inside. Showed breeding bands flaring and responding to male flaring with head down position. Also have towle over top of tank drapping all sides but the front.

7:30 Raj is not making a bubble nest so I released female snapped a couple pictures and then turned all lights off hopefully he will have a nest by morning.

I plan on breeding a sibling pair from this spawn and also an outcross to a hmpk.

((Last pic I tried taking some pics of my sorrority when out of no where my cat jumped up right as I was taking a picture XD.
Attached Images

MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #2 
Jayloo

Love your boy. :) keep us updated!
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #3 
Myates

Good luck.. Keep in mind breeding stripes aren't just for breeding. It's a way of communication for many different things. But people tend to call them 'breeding stripes' because submission is one of the reasons they show them. They also show them with aggression. You said your female flared at the male.. you don't want that. The female needs to be submissive.. a head down away from the nest isn't the same as head down under the nest either. So.. honestly it could go either way for you. Some aggressive girls breed great, others need to be beat into submission first, etc. Each spawn is different. But be aware that some of the signs can mean multiple things, etc.

I personally would of waited until the male started a nest so that I know he is wanting to breed, and is accepting of the place. He will try to lure her there, they will flirt, chase, etc. He has no territory set up yet. Another thing I have learned is my females do not like complete darkness at all.. no siree they go bat--- crazy with a male in darkness. Don't know why lol.. but yeah.. so I have to leave a nightlight on nearby or the room light on to give them some light to see.

But again, they can surprise ya. You may wake up with a nest full of eggs :) Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #4 
MadMay

Thank you I personally found the orange and black to be striking : )

Here are what I believe to be siblings to the female.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #5 
Jayloo

Pretty. Long anals. I have a weird obsession with plakats... Still love your DT male. Is this your first time breeding?
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #6 
MadMay

I will take what you said into consideration Myates. I thought releasing the female would motivate the male into making a nest while the darkness help the female hide while he builds the nest. I checked a moment ago the Sora is hiding and Raj is content in the upper corner of the tank. All four of my girls are extremly active and only seem to come down when the lights are off but there is no male in the tank. Thank you for the information and I will keep an eye out for overly aggressive behavior.

@Jayloo Ugh I know! Its so hard to find hm here in the us that have a shorter anal fin. I plan on breeding the best male or female back to a hmpk. As I really prefer hmpk to regular hms.

Last edited by MadMay; 03-31-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #7 
Myates

Good luck! And love those coppers..

All pairs are different, and the breeding styles can vary greatly each time with each different fish. I could never get the "conventional" methods to work for me, so I really can't say what will and what won't work for you. My fish just get too distracted by items and space in the tanks, males will nearly kill the females with lights on, but lights off the females get the upper hand. So my experience is unique to my fish, I can just go off of that.

It sounds like you have everything set up right, she looks nice and round. If he hasn't tried to kill her yet, then I say it's a good sign :)
Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Good luck. . . . fluffy is so cute :)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #9 
MadMay

Eggs?

Came home from work and there was a huge bubble nest it does appear like there are eggs in it. I've never seen eggs in person so let me know if you think it is an empty nest. I removed female who does not have any fin damage at all! Which I am very happy about she looks a little pale but other then that she seems fine. If I am incorrect and there are no eggs I will recondition and try again later as the female did look stressed.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #10 
Myates

I see no eggs, but they are usually underneath.

If the male is under the nest and not leaving, as well as continually picking up white specs off the ground then yes.. otherwise he has a very nice nest going on.

With her not having a rip in her fins, most likely there was nothing happening yet.. he was working on the nest before trying to get her to breed. Can try to reintroduce her if the male is still in there.. keep her in the chimney for 12-24hrs while he finishes his nest and then release her.

Your female should also be visibly different.. her belly should either still be large with eggs, or no belly.. if there is no belly and no eggs then you can either go with she wasn't eggy, just large with food or they ate any eggs she dropped.