Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 
abenites

Question New crowntail looks and acts happy/healthy, but not eating (yet)

Good afternoon all!

Brand new here, but have found plenty of great advice from the forum in my research prior to purchasing my little blue crowntail male. Thanks to the community for all the info!

That being said, on Saturday I picked up "Finley." He's in a 10 gal with live plant, filter, heater, and aerator (that I only leave on part of the time and he actually doesn't seem to mind at all). After about 6 hours in his new environment, his fins loosened up a bit and he started really exploring. He already has his favorite hiding spots. On Sunday night, after about a day in the tank, he started getting all full of himself and flaring at his reflection in the walls of the tank. Yesterday, he finally started swimming up to me and waggling at me as I worked in my home office. He seems to be getting over the initial stress of being in the tank, and appears to be pretty happy by all counts, except one thing:

HE STILL WON'T EAT.

I have attempted giving him rehydrated freeze-dried bloodworms and pellets, but he has refused both. He did nibble at a pellet once, but spit it right out. The bloodworms he stares at for a second and turns away from. After a few minutes of watching him play dodge-the-dinner (or breakfast or lunch) I scoop out the refused meal and let him be. At what point should I start worrying? His eyes look healthy, his color is good, he's active, no bloat, no growth or rot. Think this is just a matter of "he'll start eating when he's good and ready?" or is there something I'm missing? Any particular other foods I should try, possibly something that no betta can refuse?

Also, meet Finley McGee. He's a cutie, especially now that he's over his camera shyness:

And here's his setup:

Thanks in advance for any advice!

AB
abenites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #2 
waterdog

It can take up to two weeks for some new fish to eat. I wouldn't sweat it just yet.

It is cute, but that volcano may be freaking him out some. Just a thought.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #3 
abenites

Thanks, yeah, as I mentioned, I only leave it on part of the time. It took him a couple of hours to go check it out, but now he doesn't mind it at all. He swims around it, goes to the surface immediately next to the bubble column to "breathe" and when the bubbles are off (but I leave the LED's on) he curls up inside it. It's one of his hiding places. I usually have it on for a few hours in the afternoon, but since Sunday (the first time I turned it on) it doesn't seem to bother him in the least anymore. I am thinking of getting a hose clamp for it this weekend though to reduce the air flow--wasn't expecting this pump to be quite as powerful as it is.

Thanks for the feedback on the eating thing.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aw, what a cutie!

What type of pellets are you feeding him? My guys have definite pellet preferences. They will not even look at bloodworms.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #5 
abenites

Thanks LBF! I've got him on Wardley Betta Food with color intensifiers for blue. This stuff: http://myalphadawg.com/aquarium/pell...FQTqnAodY0oAUw

Thinking maybe I need to switch him to a food that has a little more reputation. I'm making a trip to the only reputable freshwater LFS tomorrow (which is an hour away! ) so I plan on asking the owner for any advice, picking up a couple of new things to try, and maybe even live/frozen?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #6 
makoisland

My fish did more or less the same thing when I first got him, it was probably a week or so before he would eat anything but bloodworms. Now he gobbles up his pellets and doesn't want anything to do with the bloodworms! When he wouldn't eat the pellets, though, I tried crushing them and he did eat them then. Just a thought. ^^
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #7 
abenites

Thanks for the advice mako! I will give that a shot tonight. If no dice, I will pick up a different pellet food and maybe some brine shrimp or something, depending on what they suggest at the LFS.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #8 
abenites

He ate! Finally! 9 days after bringing him home he just snarfed down his first pellet. I'm so relieved!