Betta Fish Forum banner

Is my Betta going to be okay?

427 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Tikibirds 
#1 ·
I purchased a 1 gallon tank and am curious to know if a betta is going to be happy.

Please let me know! I may get a dwarf frog instead, but I am falling in love with bettas.

#2 ·
A one gallon is definitely not big enough for an ADF.

As for whether the betta will be happy, there are more important things that tank size. Is the tank heated? Is it cleaned regularly (2 50% and 1 100% change per week)? Does it have mental stimulation (places to hide and explore)? Is it well fed with a high-quality food?

That's what will determine if your fish will be "happy". :)

#8 ·
Just to clarify, water changes should be done more than weekly in a 1 gallon.
The recommendation is is to do 3 water changes each week - 2 of 50% and 1 of 100%.

For example:
Monday: 50%
Wednesday: 50%
Friday: 100%

#9 ·
If you want to reduce the amount of changes you need to do a week, think about getting a 5 gallon tank and cycling it. If not, water changes for a 1 gallon aren't too bad - just gotta make sure you don't put off doing them. A day or so won't be too bad but if you can't do it for a week...ammonia will start to build up and that will hurt the poor fishie :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.