Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 
PNP

Raggedy fin

Last week, I got a beautiful DTHM at Petsmart. He's settling in well, though we're having a battle of wills over food. And he spends a lot of time trying to pick a fight with his own reflection.

This morning, I noticed that his top fin (I must learn the names of the fins!) is looking raggedy, just along the edge. He has one plastic plant (fairly soft, but still plastic), one cloth plant, and one real plant in his house. So I suppose he could have rubbed the edge of his fin on one of those, right?

BUT--what does fin rot look like? There's no discoloration there. It's just looking a little ragged along the edge, when it didn't before.

What do you think?
PNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #2 
RowdyBetta

Maybe he bit it? I had a VT who only nipped at his dorsal.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #3 
Snoeflayke

Can you post a picture of him?

Fin rot usually has discolored edges, but tears can turn into rot if the water conditions aren't great.

Aquarium salt and Stress Coat+ can help with regrowth.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #4 
PNP

I tried taking his picture yesterday and all I got was some blue and red blurs. He's very speedy!

I wondered if he might be nipping it. He doesn't seem stressed, except for flaring at his own reflection a lot. And we are butting heads on the food issue. So far, all he'll eat is bloodworms, but I'm holding out and trying to get him to eat pellets. I'm used to losing a battle of wills against my cats, but a two inch fish?

I don't see any discoloration, but I'll keep an eye on it. And I'll try to get a photo, too.

Thanks!
PNP is offline   Reply With Quote