Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #1 
BatCakes

Heater Question

I've had my betta for about a week now, and I got the heater at the same time I got him, though I didn't have a thermometer. I saw the heater going on occasionally (indicator light), but now that I have a thermometer, I see it only keeps the tank at 74! It's only a 1.5 gal tank, so there isn't much water movement to circulate the heat (with such a small tank, even the little filter that came with it I think would be too powerful for my fish). Any suggestions?

I paid about $15 at Walmart for this heater, and as a college student I can't really afford to get a super nice one, but obviously I want my fish to be happy and warm. Any suggestions on a good heater in the $10-$20 price range, or if there is a way I can enhance the effects of the one I have now?

Thanks~
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I recommend Marineland Visi-Therms, Eheim Jager, and especially Hydor THEO heaters. They're all adjustable, and can be found in the internet.
I bought my Hydor THEO online for $18. Are you able to buy online?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 
BatCakes

Yup, online is just fine. Do you think they'll be fine even if there's no water movement? They won't just heat up what's around it?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

It will be fine without circulation, especially in a tank like yours. Besides, your betta can just swim up next to the heater. :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 
Viva

The flat Hydor Theo 7.5w heater keeps my 2 gallon tank about 10 degrees higher than the room temp. I recommend that or an adjustable 15w. I don't really trust nonadjustable heaters.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #6 
BatCakes

Would the adjustable Hydor 25w be a good choice? My tank is only a 1.5 and it's recommended for 2 gal and above, but I figure if I upgrade my tank ever, I can keep using it. Will that be bad for the current tank?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #7 
BatCakes

Looked at the other brands that you suggested and they all seem to way too large for my tank, and smaller they aren't adjustable, so I'll do the Hydor THEO adjustable at 25w. Thanks for the help!