Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

An NPT has dirt as the substrate and basically eliminates the need for fertilizers, but they take a while to "mature" so for the first few months you'd need extra water changes, but a fully matured NPT needs less siphoning because the plants use fish poo as food and sometimes they only need like 2 water changes per month.

I got my girls from breeders on this website. If you buy in bulk, they'll give them to you cheaper. I got my four for a total of $45 but that was because I opted for express shipping which was $20 more because it was cold out at the time. That's like $6.20 per fish including shipping if you don't get express shipping and they arrive a lot healthier than the fish that are roughly the same price at a pet store. Plus, they generally have much better genetics - I have had my bouts with bad genetics and I am no longer getting fish from pet stores!!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #12 
Elsewhere

Oh, okay, I don't have that kind of tank :P And I'm not sure if my mum would let me buy fish to be mailed... She would freak out that I was on "the Internet" and say that the ones in the store are just as good... There's no speaking to that woman! XD I'll try tomorrow, when she's in a good mood for Easter lunch. Already in love with like three girls on Aquabid aha
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

It would of course be cheaper to combine shipping. I would check out the classified section, maybe message a few breeders and ask about pricing on more than one female.

If you can find some for a decent price, I'd try convincing your mom that the fish are shipped to the store so it's not really different shipping to your house, except that they will go directly into nice clean heated water instead of in a cold dirty cup on a shelf until someone picks them up. Also try explaining to her that the fish from a breeder will have stronger genetics so it's less likely that they will die and you'll have to keep replacing them. If nothing else works, tell her that it'll be hard to find enough females in a store and that you need to add them all at once? Lol, I always had issues finding a good number of females at a store that I liked and that looked healthy. And also, if you're paying for it... That could be an argument, as well?

I just turned 18 and I set up my own checking account and got a debit card when I was still 17 and just bought all my stuff myself :p of course I had to make my PayPal account under my mom's name because you have to be 18 to use it >:/
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #14 
Elsewhere

Hm... I like these argument suggestions! I shall try them out and scour the classifieds... I have totally fallen in love with this girl, though:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sdt&1364814520
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...seller&Chard56

This is the breeder I got my last four from. He has the same username here on the forum and will give you a discount if you order off of the forum instead of on AB.

I know he has a lot of dragon girls. I also got a purple female from him but I'm not sure if he has any more... I see that he has a new green female up on AB.

He doesn't have all of his fish listed. He told me that he has (I believe) 4 tanks with about 100 females each. He's probably got more spawns in progress.

The only thing is that he can't get pictures of each and every fish he has available because he's got so many!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #16 
Elsewhere

WOW! That is so awesome! I'll definitely check it out tomorrow, after I've spoken to my mum :D
Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

I got my two EEs from Mo but he will not be breeding again until summer I believe.

Another one I looked at was Polukoff on here and he's had some amazing males! I haven't seen much of his females, though. I know he's in Texas and has a large farm. I have found that there are SO many nice members on this forum and I became addicted to the classified section, lol. It's hard to go wrong. However, if they are out of the US, some of them will not ship here.

Edit: another member here (not a breeder) who I talk to a lot is Sakura8. She's a moderator and she's very familiar with the members/breeders here. I've went to her with so many questions! She's very nice, knowledgable, and she also knows a lot about diseases. Often, I find that messaging her proves easier than just posting a new thread when I'm looking for info on things.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 03-31-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #18 
Elsewhere

Okay, so I may be getting the girls this weekend and QTing for 2-3 weeks instead... All of the pet stores near me are getting their Bettas in on Friday, and then not again for a month. All are getting at least 6 females each and I have figured out how to keep them all in their own tanks with heat :D God, I'll be running around like nuts... But all of these places only charge 2-5 dollars per female Betta, so that's good. The only problem is that I'll only have 30-50 bucks and still need to buy plants. Erg! Next week I get a payout of like 200 bucks from babysitting, so I guess I could wait until the Sunday after for plant shopping...

I put an ad up on here in the "Classifieds" area for seven girls, but my mum is wary of ordering online, so if I don't get responses by Friday, I'm going shopping! :P