Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #1 
dude

Question Male or Female?

I am new to keeping Bettas although I've been keeping fish for 20 years. I have been doing a lot of reading online about Bettas for a few weeks and just bought 2 to get started on my Betta learning curve. They are in a separated 30 gallon tank. It is a very mature setup that I was using for other fish and it's a bare tank except heater and filter (with flow turned down and directed at tank glass to reduce water movement).

I am having trouble working out whether one is a male or female. He/she is about 1.7 inches in body length (maybe slightly longer but not 2 inches). Fins are nice but not as long or developed compared to body size as I would expect in a male but more developed than pictures of females I have seen. The other fish I bought is definitely a male, body length similar but fins are way more developed but head and body seem slimmer.

I bought both as males but what got me wondering is the short fin one seemed to have an egg spot (ovipositor), something definitely protruding slightly and has a white tip. You can see it (just) in the 2 pictures below. I put him/her in a large glass jar in the other males tank to see how they reacted for 20 minutes. That's when I took the pics. They flared at each other and he/she got stressed so I put him back on his side of the tank where they can't see each other. You can see in one of the pics he/she developed a horizontal stripe. I know this can be normal for male or female when stressed.

Here are 2 pics of the one in question

Thanks for any advice you can offer
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Male. We're you planning to breed? His ventrals are long, and his fins are long and the fin to body proportion indicates a male. An ovipositor is not a reliable way to sex a fish.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 
dude

Thanks. I thought he probably was but I really wasn't sure. His body seems a lot more developed and sturdier than the other male but fins not so much. I was considering breeding but not necessarily with the 2 I have just bought.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #4 
dude

Do you have any recommendations if I start breeding? I have all the kit, I've been breeding Discus but the water here is not the best for them and RO filters and other tiresome issues with Discus breeding has meant I've scaled back a lot. I am looking for a different challenge and I've always admired Bettas. I won't have to use RO filters for water changes and I can divide up larger tanks to house the smaller Bettas. I have also acquired some 5 gallon tanks which are too small for Discus but good for housing individual Betta.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Any tips? Do you want me to wright you a book? Just kidding (I could do that though). Read through all of the breeding stickies, and make sure you have all cultures, grow outs, etc ahead of time. Breed nice bettas, not veiltails or crowntail a with bad web reduction (what you have).
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #6 
dude

Already been reading through a lot of the stickies, lots of great info here. I have seen some fantastic looking HM types on youtube but not totally decided on type yet. Something I was considering was breeding for size (larger), I know there are already some "giants" out there but can't find any solid or reliable info yet.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Giants are neat. You might have trouble getting them and they can't be shown.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #8 
dude

One of the reasons I bought the fish pictured was because he looks so well developed in the body, much stockier than others I have seen. Mostly I just bought 2 to start learning and get to know Bettas not necessarily to use them for breeding. The other one I got is a much prettier SD but I don't have any pics yet.

I will spend a few weeks thinking about what I am going to work with. I might see if there are any Betta shows going on in the UK too so I can go and actually look at various Betta types face to face before deciding.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

While you are deciding on what type you want to work with, I would go to aquabid.com and see if anything really catches your eye. Then you might get a goal in mind. The ct you pictured has a bad top line and really messy web reduction, so I wouldn't recommend breeding him. Perfectly fine pet though.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #10 
Mahsfish

I think these are CTPK NS THts why the fins ae short.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
male or female, sexing