Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #11 
madmonahan

Poor little guy!
He has such pretty colors.
*subscribed*
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #12 
bettacrazygirl86

I got some video of him swimming around just now.

Video 1

Video 2
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #13 
bettacrazygirl86

UPDATE ON AUTUMN:

Did a 100% water change today to get the AQ salt out. It looks like his dorsal fin has some new fin growth, and his anal fin has some transparency. I can't remember if that part was missing before or if it was always like that. It very well could be new growth, which is fantastic. The fin rot is dying off slowly but surely, and he has definitely become more active. He's been eating 3 pellets per meal with meals twice a day. He didn't like the Omega One pellets I tried feeding him, so he's been eating the plain Aqua Culture pellets he's always had. I'm going to try to convince my sister to get him a betta log. He seems to love the styrofoam cup "log" I put in there. He's fattened up quite a bit so his gills look normal now. I think they may have looked funny because he was so skinny from not eating. He was fed plenty, but never ate. Now he's definitely much healthier, despite the fin rot. :) I'm hoping it ends soon for this little guy and he can just be happy and healthy. He definitely doesn't seem to care about the fin rot. I'm happy for him, and I really hope he gets better. He's acclimating right now, and soon I'll let him back into his tank. I may or may not take pictures. He might be too wiggly.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #14 
VJM

Great news! I was just imagining how stomach turning it must have been for him in that tank. No wonder he hasn't been eating!

Good job, you. Sounds like your sister just isn't quite ready for the responsibility. Great job on stepping in.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #15 
bettacrazygirl86

She is pretty responsible. She just doesn't do the water changes. She feeds him every day, but she does get lazy. She sometimes doesn't take out the food if he doesn't eat it. Quite honestly, when I first cleaned his tank before moving him into my room, I was in total shock that he hasn't died of ammonia poisoning yet. There were loads of pellets on the ground, along with his poo, all in a 1 gallon bowl that sat for about a month, no water changes. He's kind of a miracle.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #16 
madmonahan

I'm so happy to hear that he is doing better!
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #17 
bettacrazygirl86

Update time!

He hasn't gotten any better since the last update. The fin rot isn't going away anymore, even with heat and a lot of water changes. I've been using stress coat and water conditioner each water change, and after a week or so of no AQ salt, I started again to see if it made any improvement. So far, none. He's a little over two years, I believe. My sister got him over a year ago and I have no idea how old he was in the store, but she got him before they started selling them younger. I'm going assume he's at least two years old. I don't really know what else to do for him.

My mother won't let my sister keep him in a tank with a heater in her room, so I've tried to wean him off of the 84 degrees I've had him at and gradually lowered it down to 78 degrees. I put him in with a different heater now, so it should keep the tank 78 degrees. It's preset, but it's working at least.

I don't know what else to do for him. Should I just give up and hope water changes make him better?