Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #11 
callistra

Using RO water alone and swings could account for the problems, but epsom salt won't hurt.. it's probably a good idea at this point.

If you do this, you need to be very careful about the additives.. as they will kill your fish. The ingredients label needs to be checked. It should not have a scent and it should be white. You should predissolve in a cup with some of his tank water 1 tsp per gallon. Add this slowly over an hour to avoid shock. Salts do not break down or evaporate, so you only need to add more along with a water change. Only add back as much as water you actually change.

I think the biggest thing is to get temps stable, get water parameters appropriate, and get good feeding habits in.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #12 
TheWindWaker

I'll definitely keep that in mind!

For the moment though, I've given him a little bit of pea. It's so strange. I fasted him a bit, saw poop, and yesterday he was swimming like everything was fine. Then I gave him a pellet and by evening he was back to the top of the tank. His tummy was noticeably bulgey too, so hopefully the pea helps him out a little.

Perhaps he didn't get enough out of his system before I fed him..? Hopefully it is just constipation and gets fixed...I had a betta once with a tumor that popped up within three days of getting him and it's been a bit of a subtle worry.

He loves the pea though and keeps looking for more of it.
TheWindWaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #13 
Melodica

You're lucky - mine ran AWAY from the pea. He wouldn't have it. Thankfully he's much better now without it, but it was frustrating. Unfortunately you can't just grab a fish and shove something down it's throat like you can a cat or dog!

I would continue fasting him for a day or two even after the bloating goes down and he begins swimming normally. Might give him a little time to get rid of everything.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #14 
TheWindWaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Unfortunately you can't just grab a fish and shove something down it's throat like you can a cat or dog!
Oh goodness, even then it's frustrating. I had a poodle who kept finding clever ways to spit out his pills no matter what we tried. It's a relief to have a fish that WANTS to eat the treatment.

Again I just hope it does the trick. Peas are easy to get since a grocery store is right across the street. Anything more complicated than that and I'll have to beg my roommate for a ride. I didn't expect him to bloat this much over a night. He was seriously fine yesterday, swimming everywhere and biting at the kneadable erasers I stuck on the outside of the tank for entertainment. Then this morning I look and he's the worst yet on his side at the top of the tank. Still an active fish though, which I figure is good. He likes to try to swim to the bottom to look for more pea.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #15 
xjenuhfur

I live in south FL too, so I understand the no heater thing. My 2.5 has only recently received a heater because the temps were dipping recently. Otherwise, I don't use a heater and the temp stays at a stable 76-78.
(No offense to other people on the forum, but having the heater plugged in just adds to an electricity bill when the heater really does nothing)

What kind of pellets are you feeding? Some of them 'poof' out and swell a lot.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #16 
callistra

No matter what happens things need to change to keep him healthy long term.

Temps need to be warmer and stable.

He needs a larger container and he needs more water changes.

You need to get him off RO water.

He needs to get a pellet with better nutritional value.

If these things aren't changed he will live a stunted live.. sorry :(
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #17 
TheWindWaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
I live in south FL too, so I understand the no heater thing. My 2.5 has only recently received a heater because the temps were dipping recently. Otherwise, I don't use a heater and the temp stays at a stable 76-78.
(No offense to other people on the forum, but having the heater plugged in just adds to an electricity bill when the heater really does nothing)

What kind of pellets are you feeding? Some of them 'poof' out and swell a lot.
The dips are rather strange...and frustrating. I wish it would just stay in the high 70s. This is the time of year things should be warming up, not going all over.

As for my fish, it's been up and down.

I fasted him and gave him the pea. By evening he was swimming fine and the bloating went down.

I didn't feed him two days after until this evening. Just one small pellet. After a while he was back to the top of the tank.

Based off this I'm assuming the food is the culprit. My roommate actually suggested Tetrabetta since I have Bettabites, but I notice both have fish meal and wheat. I'll have to talk her into another petstore run if I need more food. Just hoping she won't force flakes on me since she was convinced it was a miracle worker for her betta.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #18 
Snoeflayke

If you can get New Life Spectrum of Omega One pellets, those are widely said to be the best (regardless of what your roommate thinks! :P).

Glad he seems to be doing a little better!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #19 
xjenuhfur

I don't always understand FL weather either, but when it gets hot outside, I just leave the heater out. Over the summer I never used a heater in either of my tanks because the tanks were always at 80F. (When it rains it does not get cold, it gets hot, and muggy, and miserable.)
AC was at 76/78 (we don't like odd numbers in my house apparently) and the tank was at 80.
Now I normally wouldn't recommend that, but I understand where your coming from.

Quote:
New Life Spectrum of Omega One pellets
+1 these are good. I find the Omega One pellets in petco/smart often.

Also, a 2.5 gal tank from Petsmart is $14 and a non-adjustable heater appropriate for a tank that size is about $15. (:
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #20 
TheWindWaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
Also, a 2.5 gal tank from Petsmart is $14 and a non-adjustable heater appropriate for a tank that size is about $15. (:
I want to go to your Petsmart then! The tanks here are well over $30.

Anyways, I just want to toss out a little update.

I managed to finally get my roommate to take me out to get Omega One Pellets on Friday and completely switched him to that brand. It's also been very warm in the apartment. A constant 78 degrees.

However feeding times are still proving to be a bit of a problem. I'm limiting him to 2 pellets a day, spaced out with one in the morning then the other four hours later (possibly thinking of just making it evening) and he is still showing sbd.

I will say it's not lasting days at a time with a required three day fast. It's usually only a few hours, he poops, and instantly the bloating is gone and he's back to swimming normally.

I did just switch foods so I'm not sure if it'll get better in time or if he's just a special fish, but input on this would be welcome.

Besides the few hour sideways swim after second feeding, he's been acting completely normal. He's a very active fish, constantly swimming around and exploring. Just this morning he decided to flare at a book near his tank and was at it a good long time. I also think he's created a bubble nest since the entire perimeter of the tank has a small stack of noticeable bubbles.

However today I did notice two things floating around these bubbles near the top of the tank. I assumed them to be poop as the one was the right color for it. The second time was harder to identify since it's night time and rather dark in the room. It looked light colored in the tank, but was darker when I scooped it out. Still couldn't pinpoint a color.

Should I be concerned about this at all..? I'll be cleaning his tank tomorrow so I'll be looking for anything strange but I can't say I've ever experienced floating poop before.

I'm not even sure if I'd say it's parasites. My roommate gave me a walmart fish that had parasites complete with the white thing hanging out of him but he went downhill immediately. And this fish I have now is showing no signs like that one did. I've shown a flashlight over him, looked him over. Witnessed him pooping during the weekend and it seemed normal.

I have been giving him pea, but not within the past few days so I'm not sure if that would even still be in his system or not.

Just hoping everything is alright.