Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #11 
waterdog

I use RO water and it has made my fish keeping so much easier, but I do have several other large tanks that made the investment worth it.
You can check at some local fish stores. Most sell RO water which would make it a lot easier on your wallet than buying the unit for two small tanks.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #12 
mermaid77

Thank so much everyone...out to buy the test kit and there's another LFS that I know carries IAL... :)
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #13 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would order ial online... A lot cheaper, if you could ever find it in petstores. It won't do much for water chemistry, but it has benefits.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #14 
tekkguy

Walmart's kiosks that let you refill your own bottles use RO most of the time. The machines should be marked. It costs something like $2 for a 5 gallon fill-up down here.

But really, the only real problem with high carbonates and the betta is that it can occasionally cause the fins to curl at the tips if they are long and delicate ... but this takes a long, long time.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #15 
LillieCharlotte

I used Black Water Extract for one of my 3 fish. It didn't seem to do much, and that fish died of dropsy a few months after I started using it. I don't know if the BWE had anything to do with it or not though. I wasn't really a fan of the brown/yellow slime it left on everything, and I haven't used it since I lost that fish.
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #16 
mermaid77

@Tekkguy - Well now, if that's the only real issue, then I have been worrying for nothing! I have no interest in breeding or keeping 'show quality' bettas...just a couple of healthy aquatic pets rescued from even poorer conditions at pet stores. I've been feeling so discouraged after discovering the crap conditions of my tap for them, including ammonia content This whole time in my mind I've been thinking high pH = certain death....

I didn't know that about Walmart...I'll have to check if that's available at my own...I had no idea other Walmarts even sold fish til I started reading this forum! lol As it is right now, I just wanna toss that pH Down out the door and ever so slowly acclimate my guys to this crap water of mine...and cross my fingers especially for the little baby...thankfully, she at least seems to be doing fine right now...

@LillieCharlotte - Thank you for your review of it...Honestly, I'm not a fan of the yellow/murky water look in my tanks either...I do think it looks beautiful in those larger, heavily planted NPT's...but not so much in my own...It would look more like a case of neglect! haha But I was willing to try if it meant healthier living conditions for them..

And lastly, a huge WTF at all my local pet stores...No test kits in stock anywhere....REALLY people?!

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #17 
tekkguy

Buy your test kit on Amazon. At the LFS's here, the API Freshwater kit is over $30. On amazon, it's less than $20.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote