Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #31 
Nicci Lu

Thanks for that link on ethoxyquin, colorxmexravyne! Very informative. I guess we can count on all pet food having ethoxyquin.

When I went betta food shopping, I chose Omega over NLS because Omega has whole fish as opposed to whole fish meal. I figured the less processed the meat, the better. I have since found out, however, that the listing order of ingredients is based on pre-cooked weight. Since whole fish has a much higher water content than whole fish meal, there is actually much less fish and a higher ratio of wheat products in Omega than in NLS. Grrr... I hate that it's so difficult to find quality pet food- I go through the same with my cats.

Honestly, though, when it's time to get more betta food, I'm going to get Repashy. Harder to feed, but I love that it has no wheat products at all. I really don't think wheat (or corn) has any place in carnivore diets. Fruit and veggies, IMO, is fine because they can be found in the intestines of bugs that bettas eat in the wild. But grains are just not natural for them.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #32 
motherpeters

Love this! Thanks! I'll be switching food brands asap. -.-
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #33 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
Thanks for that link on ethoxyquin, colorxmexravyne! Very informative. I guess we can count on all pet food having ethoxyquin.

When I went betta food shopping, I chose Omega over NLS because Omega has whole fish as opposed to whole fish meal. I figured the less processed the meat, the better. I have since found out, however, that the listing order of ingredients is based on pre-cooked weight. Since whole fish has a much higher water content than whole fish meal, there is actually much less fish and a higher ratio of wheat products in Omega than in NLS. Grrr... I hate that it's so difficult to find quality pet food- I go through the same with my cats.

Honestly, though, when it's time to get more betta food, I'm going to get Repashy. Harder to feed, but I love that it has no wheat products at all. I really don't think wheat (or corn) has any place in carnivore diets. Fruit and veggies, IMO, is fine because they can be found in the intestines of bugs that bettas eat in the wild. But grains are just not natural for them.
Where would I get Repashy? I've never seen it before.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #34 
VJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post

Please post about your experiences with it! I am of the same mind as you, but I haven't heard any direct info from anyone feeding it to a betta.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #35 
AyalaCookiejar

I haven't done a whole lot of looking into it, but Ethoxyquin seems to be a bigger issue in dogs. That, or there just isn't a lot of info in fish foods. But there are tiny amounts of it in the foods, obviously, because its either listed last or not at all.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #36 
VJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
Where would I get Repashy? I've never seen it before.
My LFS carries it. If you go to their home page, you can search by state for a distributor. Or, buy online from them. Googling around can help out a lot with price.

Last edited by VJM; 04-02-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #37 
Nicci Lu

I have the Repashy Super Green vegan algae mix for my otos (who absolutely adore it, BTW) and I had to order it from ebay. My LFS selection is limited to the big chains, unfortunately, and they don't carry it. It's a gel food, so you have to pre-mix it, then cut it and freeze it for longer storage. So, more prep work.

I posted a thread a while back asking members if they'd had experience with the Meat Pie (their carnivore mix). Some said their bettas loved it, but it seemed to limited to those who had bettas that would eat food off the bottom. It sinks, you see. My VT likes to chase falling food, so my hope is that he'll snag the pieces as they fall. I'll definitely report back when I get some.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #38 
VJM

I am hoping that bettas will take it if it is gelled up with a string hanger inside, or attached to something that floats.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #39 
belleangel33

I could only get omega they do not sell NSL at petsmart =(
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #40 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleangel33 View Post
I could only get omega they do not sell NSL at petsmart =(
Well you got one of the two best so your fish should really love you for it!

All I feed is Omega to all my varieties of fish and they all do great on it!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote