Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #11 
RowdyBetta

Awesome! Thanks for the link too!

No sweat! Most bettas who have had methyline (sp?) blue in their cups have fin rot when you get them. When my first boy had fin rot, I treated it with AQ salt. It took care of it within 2 days since it wasn't real bad. :) He'll be fine once you get him treated.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

Do not share anything between Urara and your other bettas so you don't get them sick. So sorry i don't have chance to read all thread i am at my brake time have a few minutes. Do you have aquarium salt?How big is his tank? How he is otherwise still eating or he is lethargic and stopped eating. He looks fine in your first thread from 3/27 what happened. Is he darting, is it look like he trying to scratch his body on objects(gravel,heater, plants?). Go buy aquarium salt and premix 3tsp/gall , make sure it dissolved, shake it well , better to use one gall jug, and do daily 100% water changes.
Did you share anything (a net, a changing cup, thermometer) between him and oyur other betta?
Do you have questions on how to acclimate your betta when you do 100% water changes. Sorry again i didn't have chance to read all threads but i glanced and i saw you asked advice on heaters
The best which you can find on 1-5 gall tanks
Penn Plax Cascade
Hagen Elite Mini Submersible
Hydor Theo
Marineland Visitherm

you can order those heaters or you can just find it in a local fish stores. Is he in your ovator?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #13 
BoxedHobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Do not share anything between Urara and your other bettas so you don't get them sick. So sorry i don't have chance to read all thread i am at my brake time have a few minutes. Do you have aquarium salt?How big is his tank? How he is otherwise still eating or he is lethargic and stopped eating. He looks fine in your first thread from 3/27 what happened. Is he darting, is it look like he trying to scratch his body on objects(gravel,heater, plants?). Go buy aquarium salt and premix 3tsp/gall , make sure it dissolved, shake it well , better to use one gall jug, and do daily 100% water changes.
Did you share anything (a net, a changing cup, thermometer) between him and oyur other betta?
Do you have questions on how to acclimate your betta when you do 100% water changes. Sorry again i didn't have chance to read all threads but i glanced and i saw you asked advice on heaters
The best which you can find on 1-5 gall tanks
Penn Plax Cascade
Hagen Elite Mini Submersible
Hydor Theo
Marineland Visitherm

you can order those heaters or you can just find it in a local fish stores
Ahhh yes, I shared a net and my thermometer with the other two. He hasn't been rubbing against anything, and he's always been pretty chill, he never really has darted around, unless the female was in front of him. I dropped a pellet of food in and he didn't eat it (or a bloodworm from earlier).

I don't have aquarium salt but I was looking on the walmart page to see if they have any because with the traffic around here it takes about an hour to get to the pet store. Currently, he's in a 1.1 gallon tank.

I've been suspecting fin rot since I got him because he tips seemed black and discolored and it seemed to be getting worse. I've been upset and blaming myself because I'm so new at this.

(Also thank you for the instruction on the aquarium salt!)
BoxedHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #14 
BoxedHobo

Searching the Walmart website, I've found this aquarium salt:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mars-Fishc...-Salt/23154244

Should I get this?
Also, should the water be any certain temp when I mix it?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #15 
Snoeflayke

That AQ salt is perfect. It's the same brand I use for my Sir Reginald when he had tears in his fins. You should use the salt for no longer than 10-14 days.

If you can, pick up some Stress Coat (made by API). It's a water additive that helps with healing. This you can use for as long as you need to.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #16 
BoxedHobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoeflayke View Post
That AQ salt is perfect. It's the same brand I use for my Sir Reginald when he had tears in his fins. You should use the salt for no longer than 10-14 days.

If you can, pick up some Stress Coat (made by API). It's a water additive that helps with healing. This you can use for as long as you need to.
This stuff, right?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Api-Aquari...fl-oz/10451536

It's a water conditioner, right?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #17 
Snoeflayke

Yeah, it is. I tend to combine mine with Seachem Prime water conditioner, since the Prime detoxifies ammonia and heavy metals, but I'm a little hyper-vigilant...
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #18 
BoxedHobo

Can I combine it with the aquarium salt for now?? Do I recondition ans resalt the water with every water change?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

Get big box of the salt. You will need a lot. Yes stress coat API. Please do not share anything between your fish. I would even get a net for each of them and changing cup. And how big is your tanks? Keep eye on rest of your bettas make sure they don't develop any symptoms and i would do more water changes for a few days. How big are the tanks and how much and how often you do water changes?

For Urara make sure water not too warm, and also for the rest of them. 76 is perfect. Bacteria and fungus thrive and multiply in the warmer water, especially that Urara is really sick.
Take one gall jug if you can . Pre mix 3tsp/gall aquarium salt , shake it and make sure it dissolved. Do daily 100% water changes for 10-14 days. When you do 100% water changes make sure you don't shock him with drastic temp change. You can acclimate your bettas this way.
Have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding new pre mix water about every 5 min about 5 times -this way they will get used to the new temperature.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

didn't see your question we put at the same time. Yes you need to add salt with every water change. If you will pre mix it you can use it for a few treatment. Sorry not sure how big is the tank.