Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #1 
miniflea84

Starting up a 10gal betta tank- thoughts and suggestions welcome

After my tank crashed and I lost all my tiger barbs, I've decided to completely strip down and redo my ten gallon as a betta tank. One of my local places recently got in some half moons, and they are just stunningly beautiful. The downside, of course, is that they're $30 each. Petco has some halfmoons for half the price, but they're not nearly as pretty, although to be fair they are quite a bit smaller (and therefore younger with less finnage I assume?).

I'm also going to take this opportunity to do some real aquascaping. My tank in its previous incarnation wasn't bad looking, but it was your typical beginner tank with fake plants, bright neon gravel, and whatever odd bits of decor stood out when I was in the store. I'm going to buy some more natural looking gravel, add some wood and a rock or two and get some live plants. It's a big step up for me but I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

I'd like to get a few tankmates for the betta, but I'm not sure what exactly. A few otos or cories perhaps, or some tetras, maybe, but my water is quite hard and ten gallons isn't really big enough for the large impressive school that I would like to have. I've seen bettas being housed with rainbowfish at my lfs, so I was thinking about them. Don't know much about them, really, and I'm not sure if my tank is large enough even if i limit myself to the smaller ones. Any thoughts or suggestions here would be most welcome.

Planning on updating this thread with pics of my progress as I go. The hardest part, as always, will be taking the time to set stuff up right and not rushing out to buy the fish before the tank is ready. Anyway, should be fun!
miniflea84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:46 AM   #2 
onefish2fish

well my first suggestion would be to google "fishless cycle" and if you still having trouble say so and im sure someone will be glad to assist you.

you can always check home depot for a bag of tan landscaping stones, just be sure to pre rinse them well.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Any fish that are not nippy or have long, flowing fins would be good. I have heard that cories make good tankmates for bettas. Make sure that the plants you use are silk and not plastic. Plastic will tear your betta's delicate fins.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #4 
Kim

Alright, I have a couple of suggestions.

1) Don't skimp on lighting for live plants. Aim for at least 2 watts per gallon and get a 6700K bulb.
2) With a halfmoon their fins make them slower and more apt to be nipped at by other fish. I'd go with some bottom dwellers like cories. If you do cories you will need sand substrate. Play sand is cheap and usually inert (test first though) and can be found at Home Depot or the like. Ottos are also good, but need an established tank to thrive, and they can be finicky eaters so I wouldn't get those at first.

Hope that helps.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #5 
miniflea84

I've got all the setup gear except lights. The tank was originally bought as a kit, and the hood came with two screw in incandescent bulbs. I could, I suppose, go to a hardware store and try and find a better bulb that would fit. The alternative would be to buy a new hood I guess? I'd really rather not.
miniflea84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #6 
veganchick

7 neon tetras, or a few zebra danios, or an apple snail, or some ottos, or some african dwarf frogs, or FEMALE guppies, or cardinal tetras, or an apple snail or 2. THE LIST GOES ON AND ON!!!!!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #7 
veganchick

oh, if your water is hard, no tetras, go with zebra danios, they are quite hardy!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #8 
trooper251

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
7 neon tetras, or a few zebra danios, or an apple snail, or some ottos, or some african dwarf frogs, or FEMALE guppies, or cardinal tetras, or an apple snail or 2. THE LIST GOES ON AND ON!!!!!!

so betas will do well with neons?
trooper251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #9 
willow

hi trooper251
welcome. :)
i would say that a Betta would be fine on it's own,it dose not need the company
of other fish,it would possibly be too much for the Betta having little fish darting around.
i don't know if anyone here has had that mix of fish before. ?
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #10 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper251 View Post
so betas will do well with neons?
yep!