Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #21 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The x factor is a genetic thing- the rosetail genes would still be there.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #22 
Dwarden3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
The x factor is a genetic thing- the rosetail genes would still be there.
but is it possible to introduce the spikiness of a CT?
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #23 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup. It would take a few generations and at first they would look messy, but yes. Imo much Beyer to just buy a nice ct pair to begin with.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #24 
Dwarden3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Yup. It would take a few generations and at first they would look messy, but yes. Imo much Beyer to just buy a nice ct pair to begin with.
So you think it'd be better to get CTs and work toward the rosetail shape? or do a CTxCT for F1, then do an F1xP for F2, then do an F2xRosetail for F3, then continue doing crosses with siblings until the desired form? I thought about that, but I also thought that it might be better to introduce the Rosetail first that way all F1s have the Rosetail genes.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #25 
aemaki09

I dont understand why you are so set in a rosetail shape?

Earlier in this thread you said something along the lines of "I'd like to know what I'm doing now rather than ending up with a ton of poorly bred fish later on"

well, honestly, anything with rosetail genetics will have some deformities in the line. Rosetailing itself is a deformity and is not saught after. You may think it's pretty, and you may get a few sales..but you will not be able to show them, but you wouldnt with a combtail either.

I personally would stay far away from rose and feathertails. Feathertailing is still on the same path as a rose....just has even more rays.

When you mix CT with anything, you end up with the same result as a VT mix. Messy finnage.

If it were me, I'd stick with CT, or maybe try to make a CTPK line..or even try to push some HM lines into the CT to see if you can get a better tail spread...but I would avoid the idea of a Rose/Feather-anything.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #26 
veggiegirl

If you are looking to show I do not think that rosetails are even showable. I have a rosetail but he cannot even flare properly because his tail is so heavy.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #27 
Dwarden3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I dont understand why you are so set in a rosetail shape?

Earlier in this thread you said something along the lines of "I'd like to know what I'm doing now rather than ending up with a ton of poorly bred fish later on"

well, honestly, anything with rosetail genetics will have some deformities in the line. Rosetailing itself is a deformity and is not saught after. You may think it's pretty, and you may get a few sales..but you will not be able to show them, but you wouldnt with a combtail either.

I personally would stay far away from rose and feathertails. Feathertailing is still on the same path as a rose....just has even more rays.

When you mix CT with anything, you end up with the same result as a VT mix. Messy finnage.

If it were me, I'd stick with CT, or maybe try to make a CTPK line..or even try to push some HM lines into the CT to see if you can get a better tail spread...but I would avoid the idea of a Rose/Feather-anything.
Thanks for the info! I was just thinking about traits that haven't been pursued yet. I really like the spikes on a CT, but I also love the shape of an HM. I suppose I have a while to decide if I want to make only CTs or only HMs or make some sort of hybrid cross between the two.

I was thinking a CTxrosetail because the Rosetail/feathertail already has the ray like shape. So I was thinking to introduce rosetail into a CT in order to make a slight alteration in the finage of CT line. It could work, or it could end in messy finage. I was hoping to try to make a crowntail with certain aspects of the Rosetail, and in turn, breed out the problems of weight in the Rosetail. I have a while to decide. I don't know much about betta genetics, so I am still learning. Thank you for your input.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #28 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden3 View Post
Thanks for the info! I was just thinking about traits that haven't been pursued yet. I really like the spikes on a CT, but I also love the shape of an HM. I suppose I have a while to decide if I want to make only CTs or only HMs or make some sort of hybrid cross between the two.

I was thinking a CTxrosetail because the Rosetail/feathertail already has the ray like shape. So I was thinking to introduce rosetail into a CT in order to make a slight alteration in the finage of CT line. It could work, or it could end in messy finage. I was hoping to try to make a crowntail with certain aspects of the Rosetail, and in turn, breed out the problems of weight in the Rosetail. I have a while to decide. I don't know much about betta genetics, so I am still learning. Thank you for your input.
If u're thinking about crossrays..then fyi, it's not from rosetail gene. I actually know some who tried your idea, afterall rosetails and cts are not "new".
There's a simple reason why cts don't have say ..Over-Halfmoon spreads (if there is, obviously not many)..cos physically, given the "web reducing" traits, it will be harder for ct's to "hold" their caudals ( even with regular ct's, people are still struggling to keep the rays straight, so u can imagine how it's gonna be on rosetails-ct LOL ).

Overall I think it's probably better to "use" OHMPK instead of rosetails. And work "the biggest spread ever on CT" on PKCT line instead.That will be something like "OHM-PK-CT" LOL...
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #29 
Dwarden3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
If u're thinking about crossrays..then fyi, it's not from rosetail gene. I actually know some who tried your idea, afterall rosetails and cts are not "new".
There's a simple reason why cts don't have say ..Over-Halfmoon spreads (if there is, obviously not many)..cos physically, given the "web reducing" traits, it will be harder for ct's to "hold" their caudals ( even with regular ct's, people are still struggling to keep the rays straight, so u can imagine how it's gonna be on rosetails-ct LOL ).

Overall I think it's probably better to "use" OHMPK instead of rosetails. And work "the biggest spread ever on CT" on PKCT line instead.That will be something like "OHM-PK-CT" LOL...
What about a roundtail with extended rays like a CT? I am just throwing out ideas.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #30 
Fenghuang

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you want has been done before. A rosetail/feathertails is a halfmoon with extreme branchings, so it'll just be a rosetail/feathertail HMxCT, or a combtail. I think even if you go ahead and do it, you won't see much of the results. Rosetails/feathertails are prone to blowing out their fins from swimming and flaring as well as tail biting and simply ripping them on things. And the heavy fins limit their quality of life.

Also, have you seen x-factor scaling? It's a mess. You're pretty much guaranteed to get that breeding rosetail/feathertails.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, breeding, crowntail