Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #1 
joeybb

sick betta for months

Hi there, I've had my male veil tale for four plus years and he's all of a suddden sick with something that I have no idea what it is. He lives in a 3 gallon, room temp, tap water bowl (nothing's changed for years, same environment). Feed him pellets daily, water changes etc. Externally he looks normal, yet he's acting as if it's difficult for him to get air, as if he has rocks in his body, does that make sense? I lowered the water level so that it's easier for him to get air. I looked up some information and all I saw that may be relevant was constipation? So in hopes that, that was his problem, I look out the substrate and started feeding flakes instead of pellets, still no difference. He doesn't eat peas for some reason. I don't think he's constipated unless that's the only reason why he may be acting this way. As the title shoes, he's been this way for a few months now, no changes of better or worse.

PLEASE HELP CRAIG
Thank You
joeybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #2 
shellieca

Sorry your guy isn't well. Flakes will not help with constipation if that were his problem, epsom salts would though. However, because you've had him for so long it may be old age. On average Bettas live 2-3 yrs (when store bought) so the fact you've had yours for 4+ is pretty amazing to me. Unfortunately, all you may be able to do is make him comfortable as you have by lowering the water & making it easy for him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #3 
joeybb

Thank you for the response, is there specific aquarium epsoms salts or? Any amount suggestions as well?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #4 
shellieca

Epsom salt needs to be pure epsom salt, no perfumes or additives. I purchased the regular epsom salts from the drug store in the 1st aid section. You can add 1 tsp per gallon & some have gone up to 3 tsp per gallon. Dissolve it in a cup/glass of water, then add a quarter to half to the tank, wait an hour or two then add a little more, do this until its all been added. When you do a water change only add salt for the amount of water you change out no the full tank volume.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #5 
joeybb

Thanks again hope it works, keep you posted
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #6 
joeybb

Unsuccessful, in fact went horrible, unless this is normal? After about 30 minutes in the bath i put him back in his regular water. I came home from work and hes just been laying almost completely horizontal on the bottom. Barely breathing and not swimming. I figured out i kept him in there too long but i used 1 tsp in 1 gal? I have mmhim in a small qt tank with a hamock and bubbles for extra air. Hes just layong on the hamock not really moving too often...normal? Its been a couple hours since the bath i read it would be stressful. But not deadly...?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #7 
shellieca

So sorry to hear that, I don't do baths, I add the predissovled epsom salt to the tank, the way I described in my previous post & I've never had a bad reaction. I honestly think it may be age that is the main problem, sorry to say. Has he stopped eating? Have you fasted him? Does he look bloated or thin? If you look down on him from the top is he pineconing (scales sticking out)? I would make his environment as comfortable as possible, as you have done, so he doesn't have to struggle to get around. Hopefully someone else will read this & offer something else. I wish I could of more help to you.