Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #1 
Sparta321

Crooked Spine???

Okay, first of all, I know that this is a betta website, but I have nowhere else to go. My problem shouldn't be related to a certain breed of fish, and it's not like mollies are that far of a distant relative of the betta (like a shark to a goldfish). Anyway, I realized that my white Molly's spine was crooked. From the top view, it's perfectly fine and straight. However, from the side view, her body noticeably curves downward. She gave birth about a week ago and I noticed her belly looked a bit pinched. I thought that was normal, due to the fact that she just gave birth. But now her body just bends downward and it looks weird. Help, please?
Also, she is in a 10 gallon tank with two other female Molly companions, two male mollies, and two female Bettas. The tank is filtered an heated. I do water changes every weekend and I feed them multiple times every day (and fast once a week). She eats fine and swims fine. She seems perfectly normal but I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking a serious situation. Thanks in advance!
Sparta321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Sorry to hear about your Molly, is there any chance that you could post a photo of her that way we can better diagnose her.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

You could check out this website, it mentions live bearer suffering from a crooked spine just after giving birth.....

http://www.fishyportal.com/cgi-bin/pub/diag?c=v&id=70

hope it helps
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #4 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

My betta has prominant lateral scoliosis just before her tail fin, curving left from an anterior view. From what I can tell it doesn't affect her ability to swim in still water, but she hates waterfall filters and currents. However, she's had this scoliosis since the day I took her home, and it was likely a defect from hatching or her time as a fry. If your molly's spine has suddenly taken on this curve, then its not the sort of birth defect common among betta frys. If I am not mistaken, mollys give birth to live young, correct? Was there any significant trauma from this episode?

I just had a thought, but this is just my experience with a recently pregnant velveteen bunny. Her stomach region was hard and very muscular, even after having her litter. The muscle growth no doubt helps live-young bearing animals who carry their young in the inferior portion of their bodies to hold the growing foetus in place. I'm no biologist, but perhaps this muscular region tightens after bearing young and has been curving your molly's spine?
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #5 
Sparta321

Here's the photo of her - I know it's not the best quality but it is easy to see the curve in her spine. Again, it points downward instead of to the left or right.
After I posted the problem, I spent a few minutes watching her and realized that she wobbles ever so slightly when she swims. I don't think she's in pain at all.
About her birth - it did leave her belly looking pinched, which only adds on to the look of her crooked spine. I'm not sure if that was the cause of it...she just looks kinda skinny now. The birthing of her fry, I believe, was not traumatic because she was left in the tank. I do have a birthing chamber but I wanted to use that as a last resort to avoid stress. She gave birth during the night and in the morning I found 7 Molly fry. She wasn't that big when she gave birth. Not to mention that she's very young, only a few months.
And thanks for posting that link, I will definitely use it to research her spine problems.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #6 
Sparta321

Sorry - don't know why it turned out sideways.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #7 
veggiegirl

Hmmm I can't really see anything wrong with her from the photo....... her tummy looks a bit tucked up but when I used to have guppies I am pretty sure they all used to have pinched in tummies after giving birth.

Her spine does not look crooked to me.....can you see it better from above? her tail is slightly drooped but again she did just give birth.......

She is a beautiful colour by the way!