Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #1 
bniebetta

Uhmm.......

Went to turn cinnas light on this morning and was stunned to find that a portion of his tail now looks like a crowntail. It's a little hard to explain.... please help me figure out what is going on!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and Frozen Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x Week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% 1x week, 100% 1x month
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? cheap water conditioner (all my bettas seem to do well with it until I can get some higher quality stuff)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
mm test kit is the dipstick kind and does not test for ammonia but everything else looks fine. And it is water change day...

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His long VT tail looked great yesterday, but the end of it looks like a crowntail's tail suddenly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No. He seems a bit more lively if anything. He likes to sleep in his plastic grass more often if anything, and that could possibly be the cause but it looks like too many tears to me for that to be the cause.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope. Just woke up.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not particularly, but I know that the pet store he came from is nasty and irresponsible. I go there to volunteer to change the cups and maintain some of the animals.
How old is your fish (approximately)? The pet store guy and I agreed that he looked like he was about a year. He is a pretty big fish and I have suspicions that he has giant genes in there somewhere. He has always seemed like he was in perfect health otherwise.
Attached Images

bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #2 
Nothingness

He has either torn his tail on the plastic grass or he has been biting his tail. When the veil tails tail get to long it creates drag when they swim. In order to help this they will bite pieces of their tail off to make swimming easier. Don't worry to much about it as it should heal up quickly on its own. Just be sure to have clean warm water for him to live in and use some Stress Coat if you want to promote healing.

You can also test the plastic grass to see if that may have been the culprit. Take some pantyhose and drag it in all directions over the grass. If it catches or snags at all then its a good bet that it'll do that to his tail. Silk or live plants are the preferred decoration for Betta tanks to avoid tearing the tails.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #3 
Shadyr

Those plants *do* look quite pointy.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #4 
Corsica

I have taken several of my non silk plants and trimmed and shaped them to avoid tail snagging. I tend to chop off pointy parts and round them out instead.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote