Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Sorority is crashing down...

It only started 2 days ago. The columnaris disease is having an outbreak in my tank. 2 girls were euthanized yesterday, I'm euthanizing one tonight. What should I do? The tank has cories, 2 guppies, and one snail as tank mates.

What should I medicate with? Girls are dying each day, what am I going to do? The tank is filtered and cycled, and I'm only down to 4 sorority girls now. I keep my tank healthy, what is going wrong?!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #2 
isochronism

I just googled columnaris and easily and quickly found info containing treatment. Check it out!! I feel for you!!!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #3 
xShainax

I lost two sororities due to it. Never affected my other fish. :/
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Did you recently introduce any new tank mates without quarantine? That could have been what has brought it in.

Columnaris is horrible. I had what I think was columnaris kill a fish in around 24 hours and there was nothing I could do to help him.

Have you also thought about taking each female out of the sorority and housing them individually when you treat them? If one or several of them are sick, it might ease some of the stress off them if they don't have to be concerned about the presence of the other females and fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

There have been guppies. But I QT'd them for a few days and they were all active and showing no signs of external problems...

I can't individualize them... My mom threw away all the cups I had when I bought them. When I QT'd the guppies, they were in glass jars but there are only 2.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

A few days is not enough time for quarantine. I can almost guarantee you that that was the source. I would qt all girls ASAP. Do you have kanaplex or maracyn 2? Sakura or Callistra would be of more help. Are you euthanizing as soon as they get fuzzy?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah. I think 2-3 weeks is recommended time for quarantine. I would say the guppies are what have probably introduced it into your tank.

I always quarantine now after I have had a few incidents with disease.

What kind of symptoms are they showing presently? Fish can look like hell and still pull through so don't lose hope. I would definitely follow MattsBettas advice and contact one of the members he mentions, as they seem to be quite good with doling out medical advice.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

I can buy Maracyn 2 tomorrow, but not tonight. My family is going shopping and I don't think my mom will cancel that to "just" save fish. I even told my dad and he said "Things just happen in life".

It's their mouth that gets fuzzy and the fungus grew over it overnight.. I had no choice. I don't even think they're able to breath.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Yeah. I think 2-3 weeks is recommended time for quarantine. I would say the guppies are what have probably introduced it into your tank.

I always quarantine now after I have had a few incidents with disease.

What kind of symptoms are they showing presently? Fish can look like hell and still pull through so don't lose hope. I would definitely follow MattsBettas advice and contact one of the members he mentions, as they seem to be quite good with doling out medical advice.

The fish are all active. But Honey (A girl) is hiding. I think she's the next victim. QT here it goes for her.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Not Maracyn-2. Get API Furan 2 instead. LBF is right on all accounts. It's crazy but sometimes we never QT and nothing ever happens but other times, we don't and we get unlucky.

Since the cups are gone may I suggest disposable gladware containers that come in packs of 3 or 4. You can pick whichever size will work best for you. They make splendid QT containers.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote