Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 
Naladari

For some reason I feel like I'm pushing it on my stock

Can anyone confirm for me that 6 Julii Corys 1 Male Betta and 1 Bamboo Shrimp is not too much for a 10 gal (there are a couple baby snails in there too).
I feel like that's even pushing it. I've read a few threads that adding 6 Corys is okay, but I feel like the shrimp throws off the equation.
The tank has 1 piece of drift wood and has 11 plants, four of which are floating.
Its filtered with a sponge filter with an airstone attached.
The bottom of the tank has little to no current while the top has a medium current. The floating plants stop the current leaving a place for the betta to rest.
My boy loves surfing current, enough that he will swim all the way across the tank to "ride" when I'm doing water changes.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #2 
Crowntails

I think you are pushing it. Juliis can get quite large and would do better in a 15-20 gallon IMO. I wouldn't keep any type of cory in less than a 15 gallon unless its a Panda or Pygmy Cory.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #3 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
I think you are pushing it. Juliis can get quite large and would do better in a 15-20 gallon IMO. I wouldn't keep any type of cory in less than a 15 gallon unless its a Panda or Pygmy Cory.
Pandas and Juliis grow to about the same size, were talking about a half centimeter difference here.
That's not actually my stock, that was my end stock.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #4 
erinbirdsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naladari View Post
Pandas and Juliis grow to about the same size, were talking about a half centimeter difference here.
That's not actually my stock, that was my end stock.

I disagree on this statement. My Panda's are full grown and about 1/2 the size of my Julis...
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If you are going to get the bamboo shrimp, get a hob filter. They are filter feeders and will die if they can't find a good flow that a sponge filter wouldnt be good for. I agree on switching the Juliis to pandas or pygmies.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #6 
Naladari

Currently I'm at 3 cories 1 betta 1 bamboo shrimp.
I added an airstone to my filter to accommodate the shrimp.
My levels are all at zero and I planned to upgrade the tank's size later.
The corys seem to be doing fine, eating well chasing each other around the tank at 3.
The levels have not spiked nor unbalanced.
The shrimp molted, which is normal for a tank change.
The only strange behavior I have seen out of anyone is with the shrimp who is active only at night. I feel this has something to do with how he acted naturally
I supplement his diet by crushing shrimp pellets and adding them to the water column.
I actually went to two of my lfs asking about them, and the "shrimp lady" (not her real title she just only keeps shrimps loves her bamboos and vampires lol) recommended the no tube+airstone+spongefilter to keep the current going. Its enough to push my floating plants around and my driftwood sits right by the output at the top of my water making it easy for him to filter feed.(though I havnt seen him fanning all over the place yet he doesnt pick at the ground so ether he isn't eating at all or is only eating at night when I see him move) He is a reddish brown with a dark red stripe or an orange lobstery color at all times. It's become clear to me he doesnt like the light at all. (hence him only traveling around only at night)
As for a HoB filter, it might disrupt the ecosystem in the tank currently.

As for Julii vs Pandas there are a few reasons I decided on Julii's over Pandas
One of the major ones is the sensitivities of the pandas. Julii's seem far more hardy and fit in my tanks average temperature much better (75-77F).
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

When did you get them? You need at least one more cory. Your levels aren't going to spike if you just got them. If you cycle properly a hob won't mess up the "ecosystem". Your tank is overstocked but you decided to disregard what we said and you went for it anyways, so prepare for a lot of water changes and your numbers to go up. The bamboo shrimp really appreciate a hob.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #8 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
When did you get them? You need at least one more cory. Your levels aren't going to spike if you just got them. If you cycle properly a hob won't mess up the "ecosystem". Your tank is overstocked but you decided to disregard what we said and you went for it anyways, so prepare for a lot of water changes and your numbers to go up. The bamboo shrimp really appreciate a hob.
They have been in there for about a week. Nothing is showing up on my alert nor my tests the first few days. Nothing on my alert at all, sitting at <.02.
By the ecosystem I meant the bb lol.
As for this entire post, it was to decide to add or not add anything more in the future. From what you have said I shouldnt add anything at all. I get it.
I actually added what I added based on this forum and previous posts, I didnt disregard everyone and suddenly add a ton of stuff to my tank.
My main worry was about the shrimps bioload given its size. I have done alot for it but my main concern is its bioload.
When it becomes possible I was planning to rehome everyone to a larger tank.
And possibly turn the current 10 gallon into a shrimp tank.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ah ok. The cories need a friend, but that would really be pushing the bio load. Shrimp have a minimal bioload, but bamboo's bioloads are probably bigger.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #10 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Ah ok. The cories need a friend, but that would really be pushing the bio load. Shrimp have a minimal bioload, but bamboo's bioloads are probably bigger.
Hes about 3 inches and Ive heard about them pushing 6.
I need to move him to a 20+ im looking at a 36g long to start up for the summer.
I have checked AqAdvisor and they say im at 68% as is. I dont really trust it lol.
Of my plants I have 4 water lettuce that is propagating itself. Anacharis 1 piece is floating the rest is in the substrate, a very large Ozelot sword, a parva crypt, what looks like hornwart (im not sure its ether hornwart or a close species) and a very fast growing bamboo plant that shot up to the surface on day 2.
I believe with my plants as growing as fast as they are I think they are why my ammonia is sitting at 0. Last time the nitrites increased I did a 30% right away and I havnt seen anything sense.