Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Slime coat? Fungus? Rot?

I just cleaned my girl's water. She's been bloated for a week or so, seemingly with eggs. I just noticed this trailing slime on her dorsal and pectoral fins. It also appears to be trailing from her anal area. There is a slight film on every fin. I've been worried she's had issues with her eggs already, and now it looks like shes shedding her slime coat.

I keep a catappa leaf in her 5 gallon aquarium. I was treating her with epsom salts for the bloat, just in case she also had something with her swim bladder. She's had floaty butt a while. Good appetite, eating well, not clamping, not lethargic, shes plenty active and happy even. Exploring, even. Hasn't let down her eggs or absorbed them yet. Can the slime coat be connected to eggbound fish? I have no idea what to do. In the 15 minutes I've typed this, the slime trail on her pectoral fins has lengthened to half a centimetre long already. Help?
Attached Images

XxxXnoodleXxxX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #2 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

pectoral fin slime

anal area slime
Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #3 
veggiegirl

I notice that there are many small bubbles covering everything in your tank, this most commonly happens just after a water change and indicates that there is large amounts of dissolved gas in your water this may be the cause of your problem.

This is stressful to your fish and can cause them to drop their slime coat. To tackle this problem you should age your water for 24 hours before performing a water change. Simply store the water in a bucket or drum (clean of course) for 24 hours before adding to your fish tank. During the aging process running an air stone in the drum/bucket will ensure that the water is well aerated and may also help.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #4 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Guess I should provide more information about my betta's environment.

5 gallon heated tank.
Temp about 80 degrees farenheit
Water change April 2, used stress zyme + and nutrafin aqua plus to condition water and keep the cycle going.
There is no filter, Cass absolutely hates currents.
25-50% Water changes every 5 days, depending on my work schedule.
Change the catappa leaf every 2 or so water changes.
Feed her omega one betta pellets.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #5 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
I notice that there are many small bubbles covering everything in your tank, this most commonly happens just after a water change and indicates that there is large amounts of dissolved gas in your water this may be the cause of your problem.

This is stressful to your fish and can cause them to drop their slime coat. To tackle this problem you should age your water for 24 hours before performing a water change. Simply store the water in a bucket or drum (clean of course) for 24 hours before adding to your fish tank. During the aging process running an air stone in the drum/bucket will ensure that the water is well aerated and may also help.
Haha this is great advice, I've often considered how I can limit the dissolved gas after changes. The bubbles seem to irritate Cass, she sometimes attacks them or headbutts them while glass surfing. However, I live in a pretty tiny condo unit, and don't actually have a drum that has 5 gallons of volume. I've had the girl for 5 months and she's never shed her coat before, and the dissolved gas has been a fairly constant obstacle for her.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #6 
veggiegirl

we can buy a plastic 20L bucket with a lid here for approx $6. Just an idea......
Also I think the amount of gas and gas type can vary throughout the year so still a possible scenario.

Usually fish shed their slime coat due to stress or toxins in the water (if something has been sprayed near their tank, or maybe you forgot to wash your hands really well before the water change? Also ammonia poisoning is a common culprit of fish shedding slime though this is unlikely due to the fact that you just cleaned your tank?

Anyhow all I could really suggest is doing another water change which would help if a toxin is the culprit. You could check your ammonia levels if you have the test kit.

If none of that helps then I would probably try aging the water hopefully you could get hold of a bucket....
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #7 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Yeah I have one nasty big rubbermaid container that would hold enough, its 27L volume, but I'm hesitant because I don't know how old it is and the plastic container has a smell about it. If toxins in her water are currently stressing her, I'm uncertain that aging water in my plastic container that could leech more nasty toxins would be a great alternative. I'll look for an abs plastic bucket, those I know won't leech. She's still active and most of the slime trails have broken off. Most of the bubbles have also gone away by now, clinging to the corners.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #8 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

So I have an update. Most of the slime coat problem is better, but there was still kind of a transparent thread coming from underneath her. Almost looked like it was attached to her ovipositer. It got to be about an inch and a half long this morning, but she has since lost it and now has a new thread there, only about 3mm long. Can't find anything on what this could be, because it sure doesn't look like poop.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #9 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I'm considering it might be an internal parasite. She seems very surly lately, though she's not really acting sick.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #10 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

SO we've been trating her for parasites. Frequent water changes, epsom salts, API General Cure, and food soaked in garlic (which she absolutely loves). But she's still clamping a bit and she almost always has that semi-transparent poopy stuff hanging out from underneath her. I'm really not sure what to do, as it has been about five days now...