Unfortunately not. Mycobacteria is highly resistant to medications and antibiotics. The bacteria has a waxy coating that protects it. It can even survive in distilled water, or on hard surfaces (such as countertops) for quite awhile.
From the article: "Mycobacterial infections of all fish should be considered non-treatable. Although there are some research reports of aquarium fish responding to antibiotic therapy, individual fish have not been cured of the disease. Symptoms may resolve temporarily but often reappear when antibiotics are discontinued." https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/even...factsheet/231/
Here is some additional info from the article that may be of interest:
"All fish are susceptible to mycobacteriosis, though some species seem to be at greater risk than others. The disease has been reported in a broad range of fish species from freshwater, marine and brackish water environments.....
Mycobacterium causes a chronic disease, usually characterized by wasting. It should be suspected when fish are in poor condition and also have scale loss, skin ulcers, or a history of reproductive problems. Occasionally, deep hemorrhagic skin lesions will be seen in addition to the more common superficial lesions.....
There is no effective treatment for infected fish, so prevention through the use of quarantine and disinfection protocols is critically important.
Populations of fish that harbor the infection are most often euthanized and the system they were housed in disinfected with appropriate agents. Currently, there are no non-lethal tests for screening fish for mycobacterial
Mycobacteriosis is typically a chronic and progressive disease and should be suspected when there is weight loss or loss of condition, especially when accompanied by scale loss, ulcers, or non-specific hemorrhagic lesions....
I'm sorry, but I skimmed a bit, read through the fighting and such.
So this is mycobacterium?
If so, is it possible to do a huge sticky or something to alert people?
Especially if it is known, and that way the breeders can do soemthing about it?
I've had to resort myself from not buying any blue bettas because of this disease, and I want people to know that something like this exists.
I would also suggest that anyone who has seen the disease or knows of anyone in their area that has seen the disease use sterilized gloves when cleaning or in any way putting their hands in their tank water. Each tank gets new gloves (if they are large separated tanks/you are a breeder with many tanks and are afraid of getting mass outbreaks).
The reason being that all animals have 'natural flora'= bacteria that lives on and in us, helping us to break down food and preventing us from falling ill. This strain may very well have been collected from the community/local water and brought home with their owners.