Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 
BigBlue18

Help Determining Illness & Treatment

Hey all,

I returned yesterday from a 5 day vacation, and I was unpleasantly surprised to find my Betta male had a large portion of his top fin missing. At first I thought he had torn it while I was away, but now I can't quite tell. I've never had experience with fin rot, so I'm wondering if it may look like this? He was fine when I left him, but the longest I've ever left him before was 2 days. He is still active and eating currently. I left a 7 day betta feeder in the tank given that I was nervous for leaving for 5 days. The block was completely gone when I returned. Also, I only have silk plants in the tank.

I did a 25% water change last night and changed the filter as well. I was debating another change and/or aquarium salt or melafix. I have both, but I don't know where to start here.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to help Leo after taking a look at these photos?
Attached Images

BigBlue18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Unfortunately those feeder blocks are not good to use, they can foul the water pretty badly & there's a chance the fish will eat it all in one day. Did you test your water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? He could have some fin rot due to bad water quality. If you can't test the water I'd do a little bigger water change. I wouldn't dose meds just yet, more often than not all that's needed is clean, warm, conditioned water. Do not use Melafix, its said to be bad for Bettas, it has an ingredient that coats the labyrinth organ & can kill the Betta.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #3 
BigBlue18

Very good to know about melafix and the blocks--I will be sure not to use them in the future. I'll do another (bigger) water change tonight and see how he does. I'll also do a nitrate test when I get home as well to double check. Thanks very much!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #4 
BigBlue18

Also forgot to mention that Leo is alone in a 5 gallon tank with a small filter and heater. No live plants-just the silk currently. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue18 View Post
Very good to know about melafix and the blocks--I will be sure not to use them in the future. I'll do another (bigger) water change tonight and see how he does. I'll also do a nitrate test when I get home as well to double check. Thanks very much!
I'd be more concerned about ammonia & nitrites. Keep us posted.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #6 
BigBlue18

I tested the water tonight, and both nitrites and ammonia levels were not as they should be. I did another water change--closer to 50% this time.

Do fins grow back after fin rot or do they keep the permanent frayed look? Any other steps I should be taking at this point?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Typically they grow back but sometimes their not the same as before. For now I'd just keep the water as close to pristine as possible & see hoe it goes. If it appears to get worse then try adding some Aq salt or you can go with something stronger. I try to stay away from the meds if possible. I'm battling so,e if rot on one of my males as well, I've added Aq salt a couple of times but mostly I just do daily water changes. Its getting better but its slow going.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #8 
BigBlue18

Got it--thanks again for the help!