Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ask if you can get the meds while you are out. This disease moves fast. I wouldn't euthanize until they become compleatly lifeless. Try to get the meds. Explain that these fish are expensive and you would have to start over.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Not Maracyn-2. Get API Furan 2 instead. LBF is right on all accounts. It's crazy but sometimes we never QT and nothing ever happens but other times, we don't and we get unlucky.

Since the cups are gone may I suggest disposable gladware containers that come in packs of 3 or 4. You can pick whichever size will work best for you. They make splendid QT containers.
Okay, where's that med found? Petco or Petsmart? I wish I was lucky...
And I'll try to search for some containers.

Matts, I'll try to explain to them about the bad situation better..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Lebron, at Petsmart. If you're going to Walmart or a grocery store, getting the containers should be easy. They also stack so you can save them for future use.

I know, I hate when bad things happen to good fishkeepers.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

Alright. I'll get there ASAP.
I found another container, so 3 fish are in QT. Piper (alpha and healthiest) is the one out of QT. I'll try to find one more.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you can't get to a fish store, ask to go to Walmart. Get their Jungle Fungus Clear.

Jungle Fungus Clear and API Furan 2 contain the same two furan antibiotics. API lists the exact amounts of each, but Jungle Fungus doesn't:

Jungle Fungus Clear - contains Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, Potassium Dichromate.

API Furan 2 - contains 60 mg Nitrofurazone and 25 mg Furazolidone per packet.

(Potassium Dichromate is an oxidizing salt, so it has some antimicrobial properties as well.... I've used Jungle Fungus Clear before, when I wasn't able to get Furan 2.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Excellent observation, LittleBlue! That's perfect for those who haven't got a Petsmart near. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm having a "duh" moment about that. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #17 
Shirleythebetta

Hey lebron. Hang in there. I'm right there with you. My sorority crashed this week and I have had no new fish, chemicals, anything. I lost eight girls in three days and have five left. Had them for two years with no problem. No idea what happened, no disease evidence other than clamping. No obvious equipment malfunction. Quarantine seemed to have slowed down the deaths though. Best of luck friend
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #18 
Otterfun

remove all fish from tank, let tank run for 3 weeks + (at least for my last outbreak) and acclimate and introduce fish then.

Columnaris is an opportunistic disease and can prey on stressed fish. Maybe your guppies are stressing out the betta or it is too small space for everything in it. It is present in the water column. You can do 100% WC, if your tank is not too big, or couple of 50% to lower the nitrate as well.

Invertebrae are fine in a columnaris tank and they are not affected. My amano and RCS thrive and are hardier than the betta.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

Okay, so Fungus Clear and the Furan 2 are perfectly okay? I surprisingly don't have a Walmart near me, under an hour of driving. Honey (a girl), her mouth is decomposing. Some little fungus on it, too. I need to go!! :(

Shirley, I'm sorry!! Best of luck to you too!

Otterfun, thank you for the advice! It is a 20G, with a filter rated for a bigger tank. (30G) I'll clean the tank really once I treat the tank.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

Okay, there weren't any Furan 2 meds... Even Jungle Fungus Clear. :/ So I got Triple Sulfa as recommended from DarkMoon on the sticky. Is this okay?

No one is showing problems, should I still treat? Or do I wait for symptoms? I also have cories, will the meds affect negatively on the fish that aren't sick?

Thank you everyone, it means a lot for you guys to support me. :')