Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #1 
JJChocolate88

Cleaning Betta Fry Tank for First Time

My betta are four, almost five days old now. More of them are starting to free swim, I put the microworms in and I've seen some of them hanging around the bottom of the tank where the worms are, so I guess some at least, are eating them.

However, I sadly keep getting oatmeal in the tank when I put the microworms in because if I just scrape off the side, I feel like I don't get enough. so the oatmeal sits on the bottom of the tank. So today, I attempted to clean some of the bottom by siphoning out as much of the oatmeal as I could. I only got about 2 1/2 liters of the water changed and I replaced it with one liter.

I've got a half full ten gallon tank btw. I was worried that I'd harm the babies if I changed too much water, so as a result I only got a little of the stuff off the bottom of the tank.

When can I do a more thorough change, 10 days? Also, does anyone have any suggestions to avoid the oatmeal, scraping the sides doesn't work well for me.
JJChocolate88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You can change 90% of water IF you refill with a drip system - 1 drop per 1-2 second. This will change water pram very slowly that it wont harm fry.

If you keep "adding" oatmeal, change as much water as you can. You don't have to siphon out all the oatmeal but try to get as much as possible. You can also add snails. I use small common pond snails - they reproduce like crazy but easy to dispose of if over populated.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 
JJChocolate88

thanks will the snails eat the oatmeal? and how do i go about installing a drip system?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Snails will eat left overs - natural cleaners.

Drip system
Basically it's a siphon set to a minimum outlet. For gravity to pull the water down, the inlet must be higher than the outlet. . . . Say a bucket of water on the fry tank.
Fill the siphon tube with water and plug both ends or keep both ends level so water doesn't fall out. Plugged at the outlet, put in the intake (put tube in bucket) then place the outlet in the tank and release plug. Gravity should do the rest. The greater the distance between bucket and tank, the greater the suction power.

Thus far that's normal siphoning. For it to drip - say one drop per second, you can use airline valve and set it to the volume you want. Or you could use chopstick or something to plug the outlet so water on drips very slowly.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #5 
JJChocolate88

thanks you've been a big help