Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #1 
Carsomane

Lethargic/Pale Betta Please Help

Ever since I last changed the water in my betta's tank he's been laying on his side on the bottom of the tank resting on his tail like a Mermaid on a rock. He won't eat or respond to anyone and is very pale. I think he may also be having a hard time breathing. Prior to this he had a lot of constipation and swaim bladder issues but those have been resolved for a couple weeks. Please help, I suspect ammonia poisoning but aren't sure. I don't want to lose my friend and everyone online who has described this with their fish has lost them. ):

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Between 79-82 degrees on any given day.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? I live in a very warm area, when I put a heater in the tank was far too hot so I removed it even after adjustments to the heater.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Lives alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? It was everyday until he had severe constipation issues/swim bladder so we cut back to every other day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? It's been 100%...found out a little too late this is a mistake.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner and used aquarium salt for a while when he was ill.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I have not tested the water but was going to get a kit soon to test the Ph levels. EDIT: Tested, they are way off the charts, at least a 7.6Ph

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6, very bad
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pale face, very open gills
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, won't eat, lays on his side at the bottom of the tank or hides from us and won't move.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not medicated him for this since I don't know what is going on but suspect ammonia issues.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, the last 4-5 months he had swim bladder/constipation issues but those have been cleared up for a few weeks with no incident.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for a year and a half, I believe he was around one year when I got him so I would guess 2 and 1/2 years old.

Last edited by Carsomane; 04-03-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Carsomane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #2 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

could you post a picture? that may help if i can see him...
weird thats its not the temperature. does his eyes seem too big or is one larger than the other?
up load a picture using tinypic.com. that will help me.
try feeding him some freeze dried blood worms. they always seem to improve my fish's mood.
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #3 
Carsomane

He's very hard to get a picture of so that was the best I could do
Carsomane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #4 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

doesnt look so good...
hes clamped...
try soaking his pellets in garlic juice.
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote