Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #11 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulain View Post
I tied my riccia to round rock with fishing line, to a driftwood branch with fishing line, and clamped between a mesh thing i got at LFS with 1/2 inch holes and they are growing great, only a few pieces drift loose now and then and I just scoop them out and throw them in a bowl. You can also get stainless steel mesh then sandwich the riccia between that and a plastic mesh like the stuff those shower washy things are made of for a carpet.

My light is an LED 7000k 9 watts which made the riccia grow like crazy, I attached a picture of the growth between 3/7 and 4/1

fluval moss ball - it's not a real moss bal, its just a carbon filter. if you just let it soak in the tank for a while it should eventually sink. (and don't run it hot water ever I destroyed the shape of mine that way :/ )
Nice tank!! Sorry to jump in but could you tell me the brand of the light and where you bought it please? I've seen it before but have never been able to ask the person where they got it.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #12 
LillieCharlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
I tried to hold it under water but it just pops up to the surface!
and im not sure what kind it is.
all I know that it is a Fluval brand moss ball.
any ideas on how to sink it?
How is that Fluval ball? Does your fish like it? I saw it the other day at the store and was interested, but I didn't get it. Another user mentioned that it was illegal to sell them in california o_O
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #13 
kulain

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
Nice tank!! Sorry to jump in but could you tell me the brand of the light and where you bought it please? I've seen it before but have never been able to ask the person where they got it.
Thanks!

The light is a Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 16-Inch Daylight: 7000k Dual LED Strips 9 Watts: 88 HO LEDs, I got it on amazon I think its like 60 bucks.
kulain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #14 
BriGuy

Amazing tank! I absolutely love it! Do you need to inject CO2 into the water to help your riccia grow, kulain?

LillieCharlotte, my fish doesn't have a problem with it yet. It seems more then happy to me.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #15 
RiceFish

Moss balls should sink. Try squeezing it and then placing it in the tank, after a few minutes it should sink.

Holy kulain you're tank...so.....nice..is it a 5 gallon?
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #16 
alwaysaBettaLover

Ok I researched that they move up and down to the surface and the bottom to receive the proper lighting for photosynthesis. Also a little fact is that you can actually cut them in half to form smaller little balls - though I wouldn't. - It doesn't hurt them and you can also roll them out into a lawn like surface. Some might say no, but I have done my research well, and I promised someone -I won't say who- that I would check and 're check my facts before posting.Another little thing is that since they are packed with nutrition, it's perfectly safe for your betta to nibble on it,( Though some might not. ) and will give your betta extra nutrition. really hope this helped!!!!!!
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #17 
BriGuy

Thank you so much alwaysaBettaLover!
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #18 
kulain

Thanks for the compliments guys! :D

It is indeed a 5.5 gallon, I got the tank at petco, it was 10-15 dollars I think.

I did have DIY co2 going for a while but so little of it comes out and my wooden diffuser keeps growing algae that clogs up the bubbles that I don't think it is really necessary. I think the most important part was that I put the light directly over the riccia.

I'm using Amazonia as substrate in this tank. (CaribSea floramax in my other 5g which grows things just as well without being annoyingly dirty IMO)

It's a shame I have to tear it down soon as I am moving from NYC to SF and won't be able to take my fishies :(
kulain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #19 
alwaysaBettaLover

Your welcome BriGuy
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote