Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #1 
tngirl92

Quite the scare...artificial plant

Just had quite the scare with Mr. P! I am extremely OCD about checking on him ever since I had a filter accident with my last betta nine months ago. Even though Parli's tank is unfiltered, I am still in the habit. Good thing I checked before I went to bed, because Mr. P was completely stuck in his artificial plant near the surface, but not enough for him to breathe. The plant is a little stiff, but it's silk and was recommended by a Petsmart associate, so I never dreamed it could harm Parli. No idea how he got tangled in the narrow part of the plant, but even when I parted the leaves, he panicked and struggled. Had to really help him work his way out of there! Artificial plant has since been removed, will replace with another real plant tomorrow.

Is this common? Any chance he could become tangled in a real plant, even though it's more pliable? I have a small, live Amazon sword still in the tank. I am checking Mr. P for scale and fin damage, but it did not take more than eight to ten seconds to help him get free, so hoping there is nothing. I'm sure he is very stressed out though. :( Watch your fish around the artificial plants in your tank!

Now I'm worried about him getting stuck between the glass and his side-mounted heater or burning himself on the heater. I am a paranoid fish mama. For such a small fish, he really gets into a lot of trouble!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 
Somethingstoofishy

yea...once i was cleaning fish tanks and almost dumped the fish in the sink!
Somethingstoofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Which plant did he get tangled up in? Can you post a pic of it? I have several silk plants from Petsmart & I've never had that happen so I'm curious if its one I have or not. He shouldn't get tangled up in any real plant unless he's really tricky. The only time I've had a fish get stuck in anything was when one of the females attempted, for some unknown reason, to go through a small hole in the plastic base of a plastic plant that was floating.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish stuck in plant