Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #871 
aemaki09

So they are definitely male and female, just can't determine tail type for sure yet.
The red is obviously the boy, the grey with red fins is my girl.
Leaning toward VT male and CT female... But it could definitely change...
Here's a few pics of him showing off and her striping up

I'll post updated pics of my 2 older girls tomorrow.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #872 
lillyandquigly

she looks like she could be a combtail, the male does look like either a young vt or possibly a roundtail?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #873 
JBonez423

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
@jessp, thanks for your input. Any idea how long it will take before gender becomes known? I do feel like maybe he/she is a delta tail because even though its in miniature, the way the tail is set on the body doesn't look anything like my male veil tail.
I think that unless you have an expert eye, it's impossible to tell both until they're much older. Like, 12 weeks, older. Floyd is currently 12 weeks and I'm just beginning to think he's a veiltail because his rays are beginning to soften and kind of crumple when he swims. As for the gender... good luck lol. I've been back and forth with all my babies for the longest time. One of mine even had an egg spot, which has disappeared. They're freaking pranksters. ;P
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #874 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
So they are definitely male and female, just can't determine tail type for sure yet.
The red is obviously the boy, the grey with red fins is my girl.
Leaning toward VT male and CT female... But it could definitely change...
Here's a few pics of him showing off and her striping up

I'll post updated pics of my 2 older girls tomorrow.
nice babies, she is already having vertical aggression bars? Is she stressed next to another betta?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #875 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
nice babies, she is already having vertical aggression bars? Is she stressed next to another betta?
Vertical aggression bars? I've never heard of those.
They are breeding stripes. Females show them when they are "ready to breed" (which she is obviously too young for, but that's technically what they are for) kinda like how a male will flare, a female shows him her stripes to show that she's a girl.

She probably is stressed too though, she was in a petstore cup for god only knows how long and is very weak
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #876 
Xeek

Young juvenile bettas may develop what looks like stress stripes, they won't go away until adult size if they do. I could find no reasons that my baby betta was stressed, but when she finally grew up they were gone. I assume after some mild initial stress they develop these stripes but keep them not for stress but for camouflage at least until they are older.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #877 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Vertical aggression bars? I've never heard of those.
They are breeding stripes. Females show them when they are "ready to breed" (which she is obviously too young for, but that's technically what they are for) kinda like how a male will flare, a female shows him her stripes to show that she's a girl.

She probably is stressed too though, she was in a petstore cup for god only knows how long and is very weak
oh, ok..thanks.

It's just that when I had the 2 baby cups side by side, one of them is showing vertical bars and got very active in front of the other one when I first got them. I thought one of them is being aggressive versus stressed or ready to breed....
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #878 
Xeek

Quote:
oh, ok..thanks.

It's just that when I had the 2 baby cups side by side, one of them is showing vertical bars and got very active in front of the other one when I first got them. I thought one of them is being aggressive versus stressed or ready to breed....
Stress stripes are going to be horizontal. It's not uncommon for baby bettas to have them when they get a little larger.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #879 
Viva

Quote:
oh, ok..thanks.

The stripes confused me at first too. Sometimes I would look at my baby betta and it would have horizontal stripes (seen in young bettas and in stressed, adult bettas). Minutes later I would look and she would have no stripes, and then vertical bars/stripes started to appear as she got a little older. These patterns can change within seconds as I've seen it happen literally before my eyes. The best way to tell if they're stressed is to see if they have horizontal stripes and their color will become pale and less vibrant.

Unstressed baby betta with horizontal stripes:

Vertical "breeding" stripes (they develop as they mature and sometimes appear randomly):

The reason your baby got active and developed the vertical stripes was because she may have been displaying her readiness to breed, or to let the other fish know she is female. I'm not exactly sure on betta's breeding behaviors but I witnessed something similar to you once when I put my female betta in a plastic cup and floated her in my male's tank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqlkm...NDhyZQ&index=6

At the beginning of the video she has horizontal stripes and looks very pale, indicating stress. But after she notices the male betta dancing around her cup she develops vertical stripes (0:37) and seems very active and alert to where he is.

Sorry this was so long of a post, hope it helps.

Last edited by Viva; 04-04-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #880 
Meeples

I have read that verticals can be a sign of aggression, in addition to breeding. My big girl got vertical when she saw my baby betta that was clearly immature... unless she's a cougar!
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta