Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #1 
SnowyKatt

Velvet Remover

I done the following for my betta fish... I removed ALL gravel and tossed it in the trash (best to buy new, not taking chances with the old, it may contain the parasites and I don't want it back), I done a full 100% water change because Phoenix's tank is only 3 gallons, I used aquarium salt, a pinch of Epsom salt.

I removed and disinfect ALL items/decorations from the aquarium/tank and put in a pale or big bucket of bleach and hot water, wash, rinse very well then air dried, this includes extra bowls fish is placed in, nets, toys, etc...

Make sure to disinfect the heater in the bleach and water solution (I used 1/2 cup bleach in a big pale), rinse heater very very well and place back in the aquarium because the fish will only need a heater and a home to hide in inside the aquarium.

I then placed Phoenix in a completely different container (that I threw away later on) after his transfer from aquarium to container and back to aquarium.

I then used Lysol anti-bacterial kitchen cleaner and sprayed his whole aquarium, used a separate soft sponge and cleaned it all over )throw away when done using it), rinsed very well, then stuck it in vinegar for 5 minutes, rinsed very well, stuck it in bleach for 5 minutes, rinsed very well, dried it with a clean rag towel to throw away later.

I refilled his aquarium with bottled water (Nestle Pure Life), aquarium salt and Epsom salt, used his water conditioner and then I put in the dosage of his medication in his aquarium before I put him back in 10 minutes later.

Nox-Ich is the brand I am using for my betta fish... it's a little more harsher than any other brand but it works... my betta fish is JUST starting to come around again, if you want quicker results this will work but it's 1 drop per gallon.
SnowyKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #2 
LouiMon

Is Lysol safe for aquariums? :O
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #3 
Myates

How exactly do you know it is/was velvet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyKatt View Post
I done the following for my betta fish... I removed ALL gravel and tossed it in the trash (best to buy new, not taking chances with the old, it may contain the parasites and I don't want it back), I done a full 100% water change because Phoenix's tank is only 3 gallons, I used aquarium salt, a pinch of Epsom salt.
Do not use both salts at the same time.. very dangerous and not going to help him in any way.. highly recommend to use AQ salt for true velvet, no need for Epsom as Epsom is for internal problems.

I removed and disinfect ALL items/decorations from the aquarium/tank and put in a pale or big bucket of bleach and hot water, wash, rinse very well then air dried, this includes extra bowls fish is placed in, nets, toys, etc...
It's best to leave the items in the tank that is being treated, so they can be treated the same. Other items such as cups/nets, etc are fine to be boiled/bleached.

Make sure to disinfect the heater in the bleach and water solution (I used 1/2 cup bleach in a big pale), rinse heater very very well and place back in the aquarium because the fish will only need a heater and a home to hide in inside the aquarium.
Keep heater in the tank with the fish, turn it up to about 84-86.. it should be treated in the tank with the fish as well.

I then placed Phoenix in a completely different container (that I threw away later on) after his transfer from aquarium to container and back to aquarium.

I then used Lysol anti-bacterial kitchen cleaner and sprayed his whole aquarium, used a separate soft sponge and cleaned it all over )throw away when done using it), rinsed very well, then stuck it in vinegar for 5 minutes, rinsed very well, stuck it in bleach for 5 minutes, rinsed very well, dried it with a clean rag towel to throw away later.
No need to do this if you treat the whole tank with fish in as it is recommended to do.

I refilled his aquarium with bottled water (Nestle Pure Life), aquarium salt and Epsom salt, used his water conditioner and then I put in the dosage of his medication in his aquarium before I put him back in 10 minutes later.
Bottled water can actually do more harm to a fish than good.. it lacks the proper nutrients/minerals. Again, never mix the two salts for any reason. AQ salt and warm temp is all that is needed for most cases.
So that whole cleaning routine you just did on his tank and his heater, etc was for nothing as you placed the sick fish back into the clean tank.... why it's just easier/better to treat the tank with the fish in.

Nox-Ich is the brand I am using for my betta fish... it's a little more harsher than any other brand but it works... my betta fish is JUST starting to come around again, if you want quicker results this will work but it's 1 drop per gallon.
Can treat velvet with just AQ salt and warm water -
Turn heater up to 84-86F
Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days.

The AQ salt tends to work the best, but alternative medications to use are Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus.

Sorry.. not to rain on your parade.. but you cleaned the tank/heater and then put the sick fish back into it, which voided what you did.
Velvet is like ich.. parasitic, which reproduce, etc. Why just treating the whole tank at once is ideal. No need to rid of the gravel (when doing the daily 100% water changes just rinse it out really good and add it back in for treatment each time).

This way the items in the tank are treated and no risk of not killing things off when doing own cleaning outside of the tank. The net/cup you can do outside the tank.

Make sure it's velvet going on.. just because there is a gold/rust/green/brown coloration when the flashlight shines on the fish doesn't mean it is velvet - look for other symptoms such as flashing, clamping, lethargy.

I'm glad your fish is doing better, but wanted to let you know there is an easier way, less stressful way of going about treating velvet. Good luck.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #4 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiMon View Post
Is Lysol safe for aquariums? :O
The only kind recommended are hospital grade ones, NOT the normal household kind.. preferably you will want to avoid Lysol by all means as it can easily kill the fish. For simple diseases, bleach is all that is needed. Mycro is the only thing that really calls for the specific Lysol as an alternative treatment.

So NO, don't use Lysol to clean your tanks. For any reason. A tiny bit of bleach and hot water, or vinegar is what to use when cleaning tanks for diseases. With a very careful rinse job.. left out in the sun to air dry on it's own, then rinsed again.. and continue until all smell/traces of bleach is gone.

This person took a risk using Lysol, and I would not follow their recommendations.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

Hey SnowyKatt i am glad he is better which is already progress . At least he is eating now. You disinfect everything and air dried which killed parasites. Of course the net, changing cup anything that you use daily to change him you need to rinse and dry after each use.
But i prefer to take everything from the tank, like i recommended before (gravel, plants, decorations...not the heater of course) and keep it out until you completely sure he is fine. Even live plants you can quarantine for 2-3 weeks in the water with NO water conditioner and then re use them.
I am kind of worry that you disinfect the heater because if you submerge them in the disinfection solution it can be very hard to remove the bleach from inside. You don't want bleach sitting inside there either as it may leach into aquarium water later or harm the heater itself. So watch it for a week make sure it fine.

I agree with Myates on salt advice. Do not use both salt. You don't need Epsom at all for external parasites. And like in your last post we agreed on meds i would just finish them completely (full course of it) I would not mixed medications and salt. But i really would recommend to continue with salt after you completely done with medications just to make sure we got rid all of them and the one that could hide in the gill area.
Sorry i also don't want to spoil your excitement but at the same time we need to be sure we get rid of them completely and it not coming back and you will have to treat him all over again.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote