Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #1 
HMBbetta

Question Question about fishless cycle?

I'm about to set up my new 5g Fluval Chi tank. I have API stress coat, Dr. Tim's One and Only, and Dr. Tim's ammonia drops.(I also have API dechloriator that doesn't have stress coat in it if that's better.) I have a question about getting the cycle going...

Since there isn't a fish in the tank, does it matter how much ammonia I put in? If I put in more ammonia, will the tank cycle faster? How much should I put in each day?

Also- when doing the fishless cycle, do I need to do water changes?

I'm planning on testing (API liquid test kit) daily until its ready.

Thanks guys! All advice is welcome. Total newbie here.
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #2 
bannlow2471

HMBbetta, I am a newbie on these tank cycles, so I can't help you there, but I did want to ask you a question about your tank, if you don't mind. I was looking at those online and they seemed really cool, but I couldn't tell if they had a lid/hood/cover so I didn't buy it. I was looking at it for Murray, my office Betta, but I've already gotten him a new tank; however, my baby Betta is going to need larger accomodations soon and I really like the looks of that tank but if it doesn't have a sturdy cover or lid, there's no way I can get it because of my cats.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

You only want to dose ammonia up to 4-5ppm otherwise it may not cycle. Test every 2-3 days, when ammonia drops to 1 ppm dose it back up. Nitrites should show up around 2-3 wks into the cycling & the ammonia should start dropping. Keep dosing the ammonia. Adding more ammonia does NOT speed up the cycle. Keep an eye on your Ph, if it drops to <6.7 the do a water change, if your nitrAtes are >40 for more than a week do a water change. If your ntirItes sky rocket then do a water change. Once you consistently have ammonia/nitrites at 0 & nitrates <40 you are cycled, I would test for at least week to make sure.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 
avraptorhal

From sad experience, don't jack up the ammonia. I did it because I miscalculated the amount when I started the cycling. The ammonia finally tested 0, but the nitrates were through the roof (~80)/ I compounded the problem by not carefully reading and following the testing instructions.

The result was I lost 6 fish.
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #5 
HMBbetta

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to be patient. Going to try and get it up and running tonight. :)

Bannlow- It does have a lid. I got my tank ($45)and lid ($6)on Amazon. I am a little surprised at the size of the gap around the waterfall though. Its bigger than I had anticipated, but I was going on advice from someone who has 4 of them, that they are great betta tanks. SO I'm going to give it a try. Also- there are some reviews out there about fish getting stuck in the place where the filter attaches to the tank. Thankfully, that can't happen because they've changed the design on that piece.

Have any of you guys tried Dr. Tim's One and Only? I'm really curious as to wether it actually speeds up the process or not.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avraptorhal View Post
From sad experience, don't jack up the ammonia. I did it because I miscalculated the amount when I started the cycling. The ammonia finally tested 0, but the nitrates were through the roof (~80)/ I compounded the problem by not carefully reading and following the testing instructions.

The result was I lost 6 fish.
If you have fish in the tank you don't add ammonia, the fish are the ammonia source. Sorry someone didn't explain that properly & you lost fish.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBbetta View Post
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to be patient. Going to try and get it up and running tonight. :)

Bannlow- It does have a lid. I got my tank ($45)and lid ($6)on Amazon. I am a little surprised at the size of the gap around the waterfall though. Its bigger than I had anticipated, but I was going on advice from someone who has 4 of them, that they are great betta tanks. SO I'm going to give it a try. Also- there are some reviews out there about fish getting stuck in the place where the filter attaches to the tank. Thankfully, that can't happen because they've changed the design on that piece.

Have any of you guys tried Dr. Tim's One and Only? I'm really curious as to wether it actually speeds up the process or not.
I've heard mixed reviews. Most bacteria boosters are hit & miss, some people have great results & for others nothing happens. Tetra safestart seems to get the best reviews.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #8 
avraptorhal

The cycle was fishless. I compounded the problem when I saw 0 ammonia I assumed everything was ready for fish so I lightly stocked the tank/
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #9 
HMBbetta

Another question:
So I set up the tank yesterday with the Dr. Tim's One and only, a few plants stuck in the pebbles, and Ammonia drops. About an hour after, my daughter (6yrs old) and I did the water tests. (Science HAPPENS!!!:) We got Ammonia .5, NitrIte 0, and NitrAte 5. I assumed that was normal.
I just did the tests again today and I've got Amonia 0, NitrIte .25, and NitrAte between 20 and 40.

Should I add more ammonia today? The Dr. Tim's website says to do nothing day 2, but if I have 0 ammonia today, shouldn't I feed the little guys? (aka bacteria?)

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

I've never used Dr Tim's. having said that I would dose back to 3-4 ammo. Are you testing after you dose ammo to make sure its up to where you want it? Also, don't drive yourself crazy with testing & dosing. Test every 24 hrs & redose ammo if needed.