Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #11 
jesssan2442

I recommend a filter because both of my five gallons were unfiltered when I left to go on spring break I had my mom watch my bettas and about half way threw the week a filmy substance covered the water... my mom said the fish wasn't able to eat or breathe so she installed a filter.. so your most recent bettas death could have been caused by not getting enought air or poor water quality... but if you are looking to upgrade your tank I would check craigslist or a garage sale because you can normally get a good deal from them!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #12 
chicagojo

Thanks so much for all the input! I think I will see if I can talk my husband into the idea of a bigger tank, especially since there's that $1/G sale. Thanks also for the reassurance about cycling - maybe it is something I can manage after all.

Thanks also for the suggestions about ways to find a more experienced fish sitter in the future. I am pretty annoyed with our fish sitter bc not only did she not siphon out any of the waste like I asked her to, but she also admitted that she fed the fish more than I told her to because she felt bad for him knowing that he was on "half rations" - after I specifically explained that the point of feeding him less was so that he would produce less waste and his water would stay cleaner! So, basically, she killed the fish and doesn't even realize it.

This may be a dumb question, but could a 5 or 10 G tank be supported by a regular piece of furniture, or does it require an aquarium stand? We have an ideal spot for a tank on top of my husband's dresser (gets natural sunlight for part of the day, is away from the kitchen & cooking fumes - which I think got one of our past fishes sick - and quiet for much of the day but with plenty of human interaction in the morning & at night). I would like to keep the new tank there as well but not sure if we're getting into territory where it would be too big?
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #13 
jesssan2442

if the dresser is sturdy then I think it should hold
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #14 
chicagojo

One more question (sorry for all the questions here): I was reading through OFLs sticky about cycling and it sounds like maybe you need substrate in your tank for cycling? We have had only substrate-less, unfiltered tanks so it is easier to see solid waste and siphon it out, I am guessing with substrate you need a vacuum or something?
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #15 
lillyandquigly

with substrate I always use a siphon, I only have substrate tanks now, well technically I only have one running tank now and it's 55 gallons, but that'll change soon. Anyways, i don't think there would be any issue with cycling without substrate, so long as there was some waste of some kind in there or something, but I'm not an expert so don't take my word for it.
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #16 
waterdog

With no filter and no substrate the BB have almost no place to grow, so cycling in a tank like that is really not an option.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote