Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #1 
PNP

I think Jazz has ick

Hello!

I got Jazz last week from Petsmart. Other than arguing with me about food, he's been healthy and active. Last night, I noticed two little white spots on him, one on the little fin on his side that he navigates with and another on his body. I've had fish get ick in the past and have had no luck treating it.

So what should I do? I have two or three kinds of ick medicine from when my neon tetras got ick, but they died anyway.

Here's the list:

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets (which he spits out); bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 4 days or so (he's only been here less than a week)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat; tank conditioner (yes, I know that's redundant)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Only the two white spots
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? His dorsal fin has a raggedy edge since he came home, which is why I started the Stress Coat
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown; Petsmart find

I just love this little guy, and if he goes the way of the neon tetras--well, I just can't think about that. Any ideas? Has anyone here successfully treated ick?

Thanks!
PNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #2 
Stone

Ich is pretty common problem, if you have fish long enough you eventually will have a battle with it, there are several ways to treat it, I would use malachite green, and treat him in a cup that is floating in his tank, the ich has 3 stages the stage where the bacteria is in the fish, the stage where it leaves the fish and settles on the bottom of the tank in a spore type thing and multiplies and creates 1000's more, and the free swimming stage where the are called tomites, the tomite stage is the only stage where the meds can kill it, so to treat it in a cup is best for the fish and and do daily water changes and to also treat the tank with malachite green as the package directions say, the tomites can only live for 4 days without a host, turn the temp up on the tank to 82 or so to shorten the live cycle on the ich and I would suggest treating the fish for 10-14 days to be sure it is gone, I did successfully use JUNGLES LIFEGAURD all-in-one once but either route follow the directions carefully, malachite green is a strong treatment I pre-mixed a gallon jug for the water changes in the cup and just added the dose to the tank daily on the last day it recommends to do a water change and to do a gravel vaccuuming

Last edited by Stone; 04-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #3 
Shadyr

Keep his water clean and warm and watch it carefully. I had a few of my tetras in my big filtered community/sorority tank pop up with ich spots recently after I added a pair of farlows. I did monitor my water during that time and nothing got out of whack. After about a week, the spots went away on their own.

The other thing you might do is dissolve a little bit of aquarium salt in with water changes - I think the ratio is 1tsp / gallon. AQ salt is good for treating external issues. Keep the salt treatment going for 10 days and then phase it out by not adding anymore to changes. It might also help with that reggedy fin.

The first ich breakout I had in the big tank was when it was all new, and I treated it with API Super Ich Cure. It did work, but I lost 2 tetras, a betta, and my original farlow. Just making sure things were clean and letting everyone fight it off resulted in 0 losses. If it had continued to worsen, I had the medicine on hand, but I was just as happy that I didn't have to use it!

Good luck! I hope Jazz gets over it quickly!

Last edited by Shadyr; 04-03-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: additional info!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #4 
shellieca

If it is truly ich, turn your heater up to 86F slowly over a 24hr period. Do a water changed with a good vacuuming every 2-3 days, keep doing this for at least a week after you see the last spot. If its ich you should see it look worse within a day or two then start improving. You could add aq salt if you want but I would give just the heat a try 1st. This is what has worked for me, no meds needed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #5 
PNP

Quick update: I gradually increased the water temperature, and it's up to 81 degrees. I haven't added any medications, salt, etc., but this morning, the two original white spots are gone. But he has two others on the edges of his fins. I'm going to do a water change again today and after that settles down, I'll up the water temperature another degree. He's acting fine and while he's still being stubborn about the pellets, he did eat one last night.

He continues to have a raggedy dorsal fin, and how the top part of one tail fin (he a double tail half moon)(and totally gorgeous, of course!) is looking thin along the edge. I'm thinking that I might add aquarium salt today when I change the water. Does that sound like the right thing to do?

Thanks!
PNP is offline   Reply With Quote