Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

So...when I went to feed my sorority this evening...

Sorry, just had to post this. I always thought that sorority girls would have their own spaces and wouldn't really interact other than to defend those spaces. I was wrong!

These girls are all new, went into their big tank the other day. They're still in relative quarantine...they all came from the same store, so I figured they all pretty much probably had the same diseases anyway...and it'd just be easier to treat them all at once if I needed to for anything. They're very much separated from all the boys though, and everything that gets near them *stays with them* so no cross-contamination. Anyway, enough about that, THIS is what I thought was so curious:

Sorry for the poor quality, it's hard to take photos through glass and water. The group has been together for two days. And these are some pretty big girls...I was actually worried that they'd really hurt each other...and there was some slapping and chasing going on those first few hours...and then today. ;)

They're not swimming by, they're *lying there* together. "sunning" under the lamp.

Is this normal? From all the things I'd read about sororities, it seemed like a pretty rough place for quite some time after introduction, if not forever?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Why not? lol
I think Bettas have some of the most unique personalities~ congratulations on getting a friendly pair ;)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #3 
Jexx

They are having some girls time together getting a tan XD
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #4 
Stone

My sorority has been going for about 3 weeks or so now, there are 14 of them and so far to my amazement no one has had to be pulled out and no one has died, I was expecting at least one or 2 casualties but so far so good. The alphas fins are pretty beat up and a few of the other top girls as well but some are basically untouched they range in sizes and colors and fin types and I rarely see anything other than a bit of fin nipping and chasing. Some of them seem to "hang out" with each other some are loners strange little fish they are

Last edited by Stone; 04-03-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #5 
quietlythundering

.........That's just BEYOND cute! :D
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #6 
Kaxen

Oh my gosh that's so adorable!
Kaxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Some girls make friends. :) In my first sorority, the girls were all very used to each other and always hung out together (all 6 of them), only sometimes breaking away to do their own thing.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

Apparently they're just buddies. Every time I go to feed and the lamp is on, there they are. They swim around when the lamp is off, but they'll hang out together in the extra lamp warmth for hours. (One of my boys is also very much enjoying his new lamp.)

All five are actually very easy going apparently...they'll swim up and eat food around one another, I haven't seen any chasing and only one flare since their initial introduction. So, my question is...when I move them into their larger 20 g long...how likely are they to once again have to "sort it out" between who gets what areas? IE, is the arguing connected more with who gets what space in the tank, or who is more dominant over who (which should be established and won't matter about what tank they're in)?

Thanks for any information! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote