Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #11 
White Mage

Of course I mixed in tank water before I put it in D: Lol I put it in a cup of tnak water, swished it around for a couple mins, the poured it into a corner by the filter to mix it around more Then he went right over to where I dumped it and sat there while it was mixing/dissolving into the rest of the water.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #12 
shellieca
Reference Team

OK, the way you said made it sound like you didn't dissolve it first, sorry. Hope it helps him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #13 
White Mage

Lol I understand, I probably would've thought the same thing too. xD sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

Velvet takes ages and ages to be eradicated fully. Even raising the temperature and treating with medication. I had velvet go through all my tanks and it took at least three or so weeks before my fish recovered and there was no sign of it anywhere.

I agree that raising the temperature, completely blacking out the tank and using a medication is the best way to go. I found that a medication containing copper was what eventually knocked my velvet on its head. I know copper can be toxic etc. but in my case I had fatalities occurring and I did use the same medication on my fry tanks with no ill effects.

Also if your medicine contains malachite green I believe this is sensitive to light so it is best to keep tanks that are being treated with it dark anyway.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #15 
White Mage

Wonderful, just wonderful. -.-

If I move the snail, I don't want it to reproduce, or contaminate the other tank... I'm already nervous about the heater I swapped out. I rinsed it under burning water and dried it real good, but I'm still worried.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #16 
tekkguy

If you use any copper medication on the tank, just know that the chances of it being invert-safe again are debatable. This is especially true if it is a glass tank with silicone, because the copper will soak into the silicone.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

When I was researching that particular point, there was some debate on forums as to how much copper actually does soak into the silicone and whether it does leech out later on.

For me the risk of my fish dying outweighed the possible downsides of using copper.

Velvet is damn nasty though. A lot nastier than ich in my experience. I hope your fish gets better soon OP. It sucks when they are sick and you have to sit and wait it out.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #18 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
When I was researching that particular point, there was some debate on forums as to how much copper actually does soak into the silicone and whether it does leech out later on.

For me the risk of my fish dying outweighed the possible downsides of using copper.

Velvet is damn nasty though. A lot nastier than ich in my experience. I hope your fish gets better soon OP. It sucks when they are sick and you have to sit and wait it out.
I agree, better to save the fish ... Just wanted to make sure the OP is aware of the copper issue.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Yep, it was one thing I was concerned about as well as I think the higher toxicity of copper in a lower pH.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #20 
White Mage

I'll wait out the Rid ich, and if he's not showing any signs of change by next week, I'll have to make the hard decicions. Priorities will have to come into play and unfortunately, Betta>Snail. :c

I just hate having to have my poor betta in darkness for 2 weeks, he's not happy at all :c