Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 
bettafishgirl

Please help? Tattered tail?

So, some of you had helped with my "Is my betta okay?" question becuase I noticed something was off in appearance.

Well, his tail seems to be coming off in little pieces now! Could this be finrot? I'll try to post pictures soon. But he seems perfectly happy, and ever since I got him last sunday he made his first bubble nest this morning. Im very confused, wouldn't we be in pain? What is the treatment for this?
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #2 
bettafishgirl

What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? yes, a weak one to avoid him from sailing across the tank.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? of course.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, plan on getting an algae eater.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tap water conditioner, stress reliever

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail is starting to come off in flakes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None, he actually seems happier...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Monday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? When I got him (sunday) he had a part of his tail missing.
How old is your fish (approximately)? erm...Im really not sure
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #3 
bettafishgirl

Please
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 
10asartin

He would not necessarily be in pain from fin rot. Unless the rotting is severe many bettas will act perfectly normal despite their fins falling apart. I did notice that you say you do a weekly water change of 25%. What I would suggest is to do either two 50% water changes or one 100% water change weekly. I am not an expert but fin rot most often occurs with poor water quality and a 25% water change might not be enough to keep your tank in top shape.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #5 
bettafishgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10asartin View Post
He would not necessarily be in pain from fin rot. Unless the rotting is severe many bettas will act perfectly normal despite their fins falling apart. I did notice that you say you do a weekly water change of 25%. What I would suggest is to do either two 50% water changes or one 100% water change weekly. I am not an expert but fin rot most often occurs with poor water quality and a 25% water change might not be enough to keep your tank in top shape.

Hi there!

Thanks for the information, and taking the time to answer. I recently did a 100% water change and he is already doing much better! I also tried shortening his time with the light, and this seemed to help aswell
Old 04-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you just got him a few days ago, the bits of tail that are falling off may just be the part that had fin rot. Clean, warm water is the best way to treat this, so it's possible he's starting to heal. Look for white-colored edges on the fins in a few days. That would indicate new, healthy growth.

As for your question about pain....

Several researchers published a study (in Dec 2012), saying that fish lack pain receptors. They believe that fish do NOT feel pain the way that humans do.

They compared the number of nerve fibers, which send pain signals to the brain, in both humans and fish. They found that:
  • Nerves in human skin contain 83% of the specific fibers that send pain signals to the brain.
  • Rainbow trout only have 5% of these fibers.
  • Sharks and rays have 0% of them.
The authors say this indicates that sharks and rays probably cannot feel pain at all, and that it is "highly unlikely" for fish to feel pain.

They conclude that it was advantageous for fish to NOT feel pain, since it led to better survival in their aquatic environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Here is the more detailed wording, if you want to see it:

"Nociceptors are sensory receptors that respond to potentially damaging stimuli by sending nerve signals to the spinal cord and brain.....

...a typical human cutaneous nerve contains 83% C type trauma receptors (the type responsible for excruciating pain in humans)....

... rainbow trout on the other hand have only around 5% C type fibres, while sharks and rays have 0%. The absence of C type fibres indicates that signalling leading to pain perception is likely to be impossible for sharks and rays, and the low numbers (5% C fibres) suggest this is also highly unlikely for fish...

Rose et al (2013) concluded that sharks and bony fish have survived well in an evolutionary sense without the full range of nociception typical of humans or other mammals, probably because it would otherwise be disadvantageous to their survival in the aquatic environment."

Sources:
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #7 
bettafishgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
If you just got him a few days ago, the bits of tail that are falling off may just be the part that had fin rot. Clean, warm water is the best way to treat this, so it's possible he's starting to heal. Look for white-colored edges on the fins in a few days. That would indicate new, healthy growth.

As for your question about pain....

Several researchers published a study (in Dec 2012), saying that fish lack pain receptors. They believe that fish do NOT feel pain the way that humans do.

They compared the number of nerve fibers, which send pain signals to the brain, in both humans and fish. They found that:
  • Nerves in human skin contain 83% of the specific fibers that send pain signals to the brain.
  • Rainbow trout only have 5% of these fibers.
  • Sharks and rays have 0% of them.
The authors say this indicates that sharks and rays probably cannot feel pain at all, and that it is "highly unlikely" for fish to feel pain.

They conclude that it was advantageous for fish to NOT feel pain, since it led to better survival in their aquatic environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Here is the more detailed wording, if you want to see it:

"Nociceptors are sensory receptors that respond to potentially damaging stimuli by sending nerve signals to the spinal cord and brain.....

...a typical human cutaneous nerve contains 83% C type trauma receptors (the type responsible for excruciating pain in humans)....

... rainbow trout on the other hand have only around 5% C type fibres, while sharks and rays have 0%. The absence of C type fibres indicates that signalling leading to pain perception is likely to be impossible for sharks and rays, and the low numbers (5% C fibres) suggest this is also highly unlikely for fish...

Rose et al (2013) concluded that sharks and bony fish have survived well in an evolutionary sense without the full range of nociception typical of humans or other mammals, probably because it would otherwise be disadvantageous to their survival in the aquatic environment."

Sources:
Wow, how interesting! And i have noticed some white edges...