Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 
DamanDhillon

Unhappy New Betta! depressed or internal parasite? Help!!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum so I thought i'd start by introducing myself. I've had 2 bettas in the past that both individually lived in 10g tanks. Now, 3 years later, I decided to get another betta.

I have now, a crowntail named CrownRoyal. He is in a 3g filterless critter carrier with a mini Marina heater (I'm going to upgrade when I can). I just got him yesturday. Took 8 hours to VERY carefully acclimate him.
I have a few questions for all you experts out there!!
I've been noticing white/brownish string-like poop (for lack of a better word) and as far as i have known, this is a sign of internal parasites?

I'm not 100% sure and do not want to start medication without being sure.

When I first put him into the tank, he swam normally. Today is day2 and he has just been at the back near his heater, coming up only for air. He is eating normal. I tried giving him a pellet soaked in garlic juice (He eats Betta Bio-Gold) as i've heard it helps with internal parasites.. but he spit it out and played with it and ate it 5 mins later.
* His temperature stays at 78-81F.
* I did 100% water change today, i'll continue this everyday.
* He is on Betta Bio-Gold and NutraFin blood worms.
Does he have internal parasites? Are Tetra Parasite Guard tablets helpful?
What else should I due to cure him? Would aquarium salt + water changes help me get rid of it or is medication necessary?

Thanks!!
Attached Images

DamanDhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Brown poo or poo the color of what he's eating is normal. White stringy poo isn't normal.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #3 
DamanDhillon

yes I know it is not normal. I was wondering what may be wrong and how i should treat him.

Also, today i noticed a more browner looking poop but it looked more like crumbs instead of the normal long type.. should I be concerned?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Their poo is usually the color of what their eating, what color is the food you're feeding? If you think he has an internal parasite you start with pure epsom salts (no perfumes or additives). Dissolve 1 tsp per gallon in a glass, once completely dissolved pour half into his tank, wait an hour or two then add the other half. Salt does not dissipate so when you do a water change only add back enough salt for the amount of water you replaced. You can do this for 10-14 days. If that doesn't seem to help or he appears to get worse then you can go with stronger meds.

Last edited by shellieca; 04-04-2013 at 08:28 AM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #5 
DamanDhillon

He eats Betta Bio-Gold, they're small brown pellets.

I'll try that, thank you!

Tags
diagnoses, internal parasite, new betta, treatment