Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #1 
LillieCharlotte

Heating a 1 gallon

So, I have a 1 gallon bowl that I'm in love with, but every time I house a betta in it, I end up rehoming it within a day or two because of the heating situation.

So I was curious - for those of you who have 1 gallon tanks, how do you keep the temperature steady? My frustration is that all the one gallon heaters i've seen only have two settings: ON and OFF. I'd like to keep a betta at work in a smaller 1 gallon, but our building is lit by skylights...which can get extremely hot. I'm actually concerned that the water will get too hot. I have a hydor 50 watt, but it won't fit in a 1 gallon. what do you guys do for a 1 gallon?
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #2 
mermaid77

Unfortunately I haven't come across any adjustable heaters made for such small tanks, hopefully someone else has :)....I had the same problem trying to find a heater for my first tank, which was a 1,5G...Most small wattage heaters claim they safely raise the water temp 5-10 degrees above room temp but they seem to be made for tanks 2G and above....so, on ebay I found a 5W Cobalt Aquatics Mini therm submersible heater made specifically for 1 to 2 gallon tanks....it kept it at a steady 80F from a room temp water of 74 ( as a matter of fact I'm currently using it again as a QT tank)..I would imagine it would go slightly higher on a 1 gallon...I would see how warm your base temp in the office would be first and expect at least a 10 degree raise from there given the smaller size....BUT my room temp doesn't fluctuate...as you obviously realized, it's an issue with smaller tanks unfortunately...
The 5W is the smallest I encountered, all other brands I happened to see start off at 7.5W...I have one for tanks up to 5G in my 3G critter keeper tank and my temp is at 79F, I would imagine it would boil a fish in a 1G lol at least this particular one would!
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #3 
LillieCharlotte

I'm wondering if any of those little ones have a safety mechanism to shut off if the water gets too hot? I remember hearing a few years back that one owner came home to find his fish nearly cooked =/
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #4 
Briz

I personally use an Aqueon Mini Heater for my 1.5 gallon (http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Mini-He...ium+heater+10w)

I do have to monitor the water temperature, but I'm home often enough for this to not be a problem. If your room is around 65 degrees, it will keep your water at a nice high 70's/low 80's. If your room is much warmer, you'd probably have to monitor it more carefully. I do have to unplug the heater occasionally.

I like that it's small, slim, and not overkilling with the wattage.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #5 
LillieCharlotte

I just saw that today at the store lol! It said it had an "emergency shut off" feature...but i think it was more to prevent electrocution. If I use that 1G, it would be at my work desk which means no one will be around to monitor it outside of work hours :<
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #6 
isochronism

I also have a one gallon bowl on a windowsill with a small under gravel heater. (with a dwarf mud crab) I am in a small apartment. I am home often during the day and evening, so monitoring is not a problem. I would not have this unattended 14 hours a day and none all weekends. It is not practical IMO
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #7 
jadaBlu

If your room is warm due to the skylights what is the temperature of the water without the heater?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #8 
LillieCharlotte

Temperature is ideal when i'm there, but I have no idea what happens overnight. We live in las vegas so in a few weeks it will be HOT 24/7. Maybe I'll buy another betta when its warm and just keep him there during the summer months...