Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #1 
Shybear22

5 Reasons (NOT) to lagalize all drugs.

I am writing a outline for my english 3A class argueing that the use of all drugs should (NOT) be legalized and I need 5 different reasons on why they shouldn't (:

So feel free to put down your different reasons for (NOT) legalizing (ALL) drugs.

Last edited by Shybear22; 04-04-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Shybear22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #2 
tngirl92

I'm on my college's debate team. :)

The most obvious one I immediately think of is that most illegal drugs are addictive and extremely detrimental to your health. Heroin and cocaine users frequently die very quickly after they start using unless there is some kind of intervention.

Additionally, drugs are seriously detrimental to family life. When a parent is addicted to drugs, they cannot properly care for their children, and the child is often removed by social services to a foster home, where they may be subjected to all kinds of abuse and mistreatment.

Areas with high drug use typically have higher poverty and crime rates than areas with less drug use.

People who are addicted to drugs have a hard time maintaining employment, so they often get on welfare and cost the state a lot of taxpaying dollars to support them.

Drug users can be dangerous to themselves and others. Drug use, depending on the type of drug, can cause the user to lash out and become violent. There are also all kinds of arguments about drug use impairing people who are driving, same as with alcohol.

Why don't you try Google for more ideas? There's lots of reasons to keep drugs illegal!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #3 
JadeAngel

I would have a field day telling them how you can't group "all" drugs together to either legalize or not, hehe :) Of course, I'd probably get bad marks for ignoring the instructions, but I don't agree with grouping them all together since some have absolutely no reason to legalize because of the harmfullness, while others arguably have harmless or less harmful side effects than many perscripton drugs.

I 2nd tngirl92, but would like to add the way my reasoning for legalizing or banning any action or product.

If an action or a product will harm/hurt no one in any way but the user, then no one has the right to take away that person's personal freedom of making a decision. It is their right to do something even if it hurts them.

However it is no one's right to do something or use something that will also hurt those around them.

Examples... I am glad they have made smoking illegal in confined places here, because it is extremely unfair that I should have to inhale second hand smoke just because someone doesn't understand the concept of stepping outside to light up.

marijuana (oh boy is this a can of worms! let's leave it at this example and not debate over it too far, haha)
presents less side effects than almost all medicines out there, even over the counter, yet has benefits. The only harm done to others (other than the user) over this one is because of gangs and drug cartels, not the actual use of it.

Texting while driving
This ones obvious... texting while driving is quickly becoming the number 1 cause of accidents. How often is the driver the only one injured in a car accident? I've almost been side slammed by cars running red lights or stop signs while texting (funny enough, more often they are older men!) and had any one of them hit me, they would have done most damage to my 3 year old sitting next to that door.

Helmets on a bike. Ok, we understand you want to keep the biker safe, but if they get into an accident without a helmet, they are the only ones effected. They put no one else in danger because of their lack of safety equipment. After a few near death experiences, maybe they'll learn. It took me nearly loosing my husband and ending up in the hospital twice after that to learn my lesson... but it was only myself that was effected by my own stupidity.

End point... laws made to keep 1 person or group from negatively effecting another.

So if a drug can harm a person other than the user, like cocaine, bath salts, meth, and other drugs that make the user do stupid and dangerous things around other people like getting violent or going canibal, then yes... they should be illegal.

I know I suck at wording myself, but I hope you understand what I mean :)
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #4 
SnowySurface

I have a few reasons. I don't know if your teacher would like my ideas, but it's how I see it.

1) Any drug is dangerous without medical supervision. Yes, pain killers are benefical to patients who just got out of surgery, but you shouldn't beable to buy Vicadin over the counter. Since concaine and the like don't have medicinal purposes, they wouldn't be regulated along side perscription drugs under the FDA.

2) A lot of drugs that are illegal are very easy to overdose on by accident. I don't like taking anydrug that can kill you if you simply double. Cocaine and other strong drugs are so effective at such low doses, that I don't think there is an easy way to make them safe for regular consumption.

3) You would be surprised how easy it is to make illegal drugs that are too pure. If purifying a drug makes it even more dangerous becaues it can lead to overdose even more easily, then I don't think it's safe enough to be made legal.

4) Even if you do make the drugs safe to use with closely regulated concentrations, there is no way to take crack and not get high. It is possible to smoke and not die from cancer. It is possible to drink alcohol without becoming completely intoxicated. Technically, you can smoke a little Pot and not get completely high (which is why that's a whole different can of worms XD). But there is no such thing as a little bit of cocaine. Most illegal drugs are too powerful to take recreationally because they do limit your ability to function even on the microgram/milliliter level.

5) This ties into 3 and 4 a bit, but illegal drugs are too addictive. You only need a small amount a few times to get hooked. Then your body craves more and more of it to get the same high. Trying to take more and more to get the same high leads to overdose. Rinse and repeat reasons 3-5 until enough deaths happen to make legalized drugs illegal all over again. DX

6) If the majority of the country cries outrage when perscription drugs have side effects, imagine a world when meth side effects become the norm. Even when used properly and casually, and without the addiction factor, and proper medical monitoring, illegal drugs still greatly damage the body when you use them right.

I understand why some people what pot legalized. But I would look at someone who wants legal Smack like he/she was crazy.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #5 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
I would have a field day telling them how you can't group "all" drugs together to either legalize or not, hehe :) Of course, I'd probably get bad marks for ignoring the instructions, but I don't agree with grouping them all together since some have absolutely no reason to legalize because of the harmfullness, while others arguably have harmless or less harmful side effects than many perscripton drugs.

I 2nd tngirl92, but would like to add the way my reasoning for legalizing or banning any action or product.

If an action or a product will harm/hurt no one in any way but the user, then no one has the right to take away that person's personal freedom of making a decision. It is their right to do something even if it hurts them.

However it is no one's right to do something or use something that will also hurt those around them.

Examples... I am glad they have made smoking illegal in confined places here, because it is extremely unfair that I should have to inhale second hand smoke just because someone doesn't understand the concept of stepping outside to light up.

marijuana (oh boy is this a can of worms! let's leave it at this example and not debate over it too far, haha)
presents less side effects than almost all medicines out there, even over the counter, yet has benefits. The only harm done to others (other than the user) over this one is because of gangs and drug cartels, not the actual use of it.

Texting while driving
This ones obvious... texting while driving is quickly becoming the number 1 cause of accidents. How often is the driver the only one injured in a car accident? I've almost been side slammed by cars running red lights or stop signs while texting (funny enough, more often they are older men!) and had any one of them hit me, they would have done most damage to my 3 year old sitting next to that door.

Helmets on a bike. Ok, we understand you want to keep the biker safe, but if they get into an accident without a helmet, they are the only ones effected. They put no one else in danger because of their lack of safety equipment. After a few near death experiences, maybe they'll learn. It took me nearly loosing my husband and ending up in the hospital twice after that to learn my lesson... but it was only myself that was effected by my own stupidity.

End point... laws made to keep 1 person or group from negatively effecting another.

So if a drug can harm a person other than the user, like cocaine, bath salts, meth, and other drugs that make the user do stupid and dangerous things around other people like getting violent or going canibal, then yes... they should be illegal.

I know I suck at wording myself, but I hope you understand what I mean :)
Well said! Except they shouldn't make laws based on a minority, a few incidents are hardly enough reason to make the majority suffer for the actions of the few.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Well said! Except they shouldn't make laws based on a minority, a few incidents are hardly enough reason to make the majority suffer for the actions of the few.
I agree, a here and there incident shouldn't mean making things illegal either. Fireworks are illegal in my state because some genius parent let their 5 year old play with them and he got badly hurt.

It's more like "if it will or is likely to hurt or harm another individual" rather than "if it has the potential to hurt another individual if the user is wreckless or downright crazy with it"
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #7 
xShainax

My dad has leukemia. I wish NY would legalize medical marijuana since it helps a person get an appetite
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote