Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #11 
Ramla

Update!
He is behaving a bit more like himself, he's active and hanging out at the top of the tank like he normally does. The only thing is he isn't eating like he normally does. He'll only eat 1 pellet at a time, I offer him another but he just ignores it. He will also some times take a freeze dried blood worm as well when he eats the one pellet. But this is not his normal appetite.

Also I believe he has either torn his fin or developed fin rot. I had him flare briefly for me (which I know is not an ideal thing to do when your betta is stressed) but his swimming and behavior has been a little off, he moves just fine, but it didn't seem like he would use his tail as much for swimming. And he would never spread it out like he usually would. But when I put a mirror against his tank, his top and bottom fin spread out, and he barely spread out his tail, which gave me enough of a view to see that there is a huge strip missing.

So I think tonight, after I go shopping I am going to get some epsom salts, and QT him and treat the fin rot, and hope this also helps with his stress and appetite. I'll do the 50% water changes every other day in this QT. And while that is going on, I'm probably going to remove the anubias from my tank. Since that seems to be the source of algae/possibly cyanobacteria.

Can anyone however tell me the amount per gallon of epsom salt to use for fin rot?
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #12 
Snoeflayke

You want to use Aquarium salt, not epsom salt, for fin rot.

The dosing is 1 tsp per gallon.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #13 
Ramla

Ahh hmmm I see that now...I still ended up getting epsom salt cause I didn't realize that til now XD

But I did buy melafix? Any experience with that? It says it is used for fin rot and is a bacterial infection cure
Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #14 
Snoeflayke

I've heard very bad things. I have no personal experience with it, but I've seen several knowledgeable people on here report that it has a tendency to coat the labyrinth organ and cause difficulty breathing.
To be on the safe side, I'd take it back and just use salt.

But warm, clean water is the number one thing that will help, so if you can do that, you're golden.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #15 
Ramla

oooo alrighty, dang. I'll have to go back tomorrow or some then. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #16 
Ramla

But some good news! I got some omega one pellets and Odin ate four of them tonight! Wooo! Hopefully that means he's got his appetite back and it may have been him deciding his other pellets weren't good enough for him anymore XD
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #17 
chicklette

I heard that betas like variety. Think about it, wouldn't you be bored with the same food and decor every single day? I change my beta's decor and her food every so often, and Jewel seems to be very happy. In fact, every 8 days, when I put her in her "motor home" (a small, square glass container" and bring her into another room (using my motorized wheelchair as if it's her motor home) she absolutely loves to meet other residents in the nursing home.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #18 
Ramla

Just wanted to let everyone know that Odin has bounced back beautifully :D the fin rot is gone and he is growing back what he lost nicely. A little skittish still I think, but he is acting more like his brave self.

SO thanks everyone for the advice and help you gave! He may not still be here without you guys!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #19 
Corsica

Glad he is doing better!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #20 
chicklette

I have been looking for NLS or omega one for months. Are they even available in Canada?
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote