Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #1 
GaryJ73167

My local pet store a bit misleading.

So, i've been lurking around this forum long enough to see that Betta's, although are believed to be happy in a small tank, but, shouldn't be kept that way.

So, a local aquarium store where i live has opened recently. I walked into the store today and was VERY surprised by the size of the store, and, the quality of the merchandise.

The store has several saltwater tanks which are VERY kept up. They look amazing. it really appears that this guy KNOWS his stuff.

So, me, being all proud of the fact that I have my Betta in a 10 gallon heated, filtered aquarium, figured I would share my story.

To my surprise, the guy looked horrified. He began to tell me how the Betta's HATE to be in a big tank. He said they prefer very small contained areas

I have to admit, this guy really seemed to know what he was talking about, but, why would he say that? He said in a 10 gal tank, the Betta will just sit in a corner and not move. but, he's wrong, my little guy explores all over the place in my tank.

Very odd

Thoughts?
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #2 
Fieldz

Well, you should have told him about this forum and also that his information is misleading. He is going to lose customers in the long term if he gives wrong information to them.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

It's a common misconception - I've had an otherwise very knowledgeable fishkeeper say the same thing to me.
Part of it comes from the fact that bettas don't enjoy open spaces - after all, an area with no shelter is an area in which predators can see you. However, tank size and tank space are not the same thing, if you follow. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

+1 to bomba. A betta WILL be happier in a large tank, but if there is to much open space they will feel stressed. Don't listen to him.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #5 
GaryJ73167

I really didnt believe what he was teeling me. And, it's too bad though....that he would say stuff like that. Now, when I go there for anything and have a question, I am going to 2nd guess what tells me....
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #6 
kyle89

There are many false rumors about bettas an that's why we need to help people. I'm sure he knows a lot but may be miss in formed about our little friends. Try to share this site and help him with proper Betta care
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #7 
jadaBlu

My fish are very happy in their big tanks. One shyer than the others he is still getting used to people. He also just lurking in one corner but he it's because he is guarding a bubble nest. You should ask him if the tanks is well planted and if he has floating leaves on top. His tank might not be very betta friendly. He might be not be heating the tank or changing the water enough so the betta is lethargic. Bring some video on your cell phone of your betta swimming around in your nice tank to show him next time you shop there. Also print the betta care sheet for him. I'd hate for him to start advising people what he told you. I had the same experience at my LFS that was mostly saltwater fish. The guy told me bettas like dirty water the dirtier the better. UGH!!
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote