Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #1 
bniebetta

Filter Questions

I talked to the owner of a LFS today and told him about my plans for a 20 gal sorority. One of my concerns was a filter, and he showed me a mini one (box said for three gal). It was a great price and the flow was very gentle. I asked if he had any for 20 gal when i noticed what it was recommended for, and he said that those recommendations really didn't matter. Is this true? why or why not?

I'd really appreciate some suggestions on the best one to get. I have about 20 to spend (give or take) and these are the things I am looking for:

1. Safe- I don't want any fish sucked up or fins caught
2. Cost effective- Unless it is cheap, I'd rather not have to mess with cartridges etc
3. Quiet and energy efficient- I really don't want one that buzzes or makes massive amounts of noise because of our roommate. I also don't want my power bill to skyrocket.
4. Size- the smaller, the better
5. Gets the job done- I really need this to be reliable in helping me keep the tank manageable since I have three other tanks to take care of.

Thanks so much guys!! I really appreciate the advice :D
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I talked to the owner of a LFS today and told him about my plans for a 20 gal sorority. One of my concerns was a filter, and he showed me a mini one (box said for three gal). It was a great price and the flow was very gentle. I asked if he had any for 20 gal when i noticed what it was recommended for, and he said that those recommendations really didn't matter. Is this true? why or why not?

I'd really appreciate some suggestions on the best one to get. I have about 20 to spend (give or take) and these are the things I am looking for:

2. Cost effective- Unless it is cheap, I'd rather not have to mess with cartridges etc
3. Quiet and energy efficient- I really don't want one that buzzes or makes massive amounts of noise because of our roommate. I also don't want my power bill to skyrocket.
5. Gets the job done- I really need this to be reliable in helping me keep the tank manageable since I have three other tanks to take care of.

I highly recommend aqueon quiet flow filter. I'm not sure about 20 gallon rated version but you can get the 10 gallon one (100gph) for $13 on amazon. I also reccomend getting fluval prefilter sponges to put on the intake tube. This will reduce the need for replacement cartriges down the road. It will also make it much safer. As a bonus most of the reviews say it is quiet and the flow rate is ajustable.

Aquaclears are nice too but it will cost a lot more. Onother option is a sponge filter. They are effective, cheap, and safe. I'm not sure about the size, but I'm pretty sure it varies with the type.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #3 
kyle89

I'm actually buying a 10 gallon set up with a aqueon quiet flow 10. I have seen it at my LFS an it is really quiet. I too bought the fluval per filter for it and am gonna add some sponge under the filter outflow. Have read many good reviews on this filter
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #4 
Jexx

You definitely want to get a filter that is rated for (if not higher than) your tank size. A filter is nothing to worry about if you have one Betta, but with a sorority you definitely need the filtration to keep the water clean. If you are worried about flow, definitely go with a sponge filter (or two). You can also go with an adjustable filter or a filter with a spray bar. Of course any filter you choose can be baffled with some filter sponge but do make sure that the rating is appropriate for your tank.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #5 
Stone

Well this will be more than 20 bucks but i got one off of amazon with shipping for a bit under 40 I use it on my 29 gal sorority tank, it keeps the water crystal clear it doesn't make a sound at all no buzzing no humming no nothing, the spray bar for the out flow is really gentle, I have honestly checked it more than once thinking it was off and not running it is so quiet, it is small as well, very good filter for the price and be it it's a canister it takes up zero tank space and is easy to clean, here is the link....http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...JGaWx0ZXJzIjt9 yes it's for turtles but trust me your fish won't know the difference lol
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Quote:

The filters I use are
1) Aqueon Quietflow 10
2) Tetra 10i
3) Deep Blue Sponge filter

In my 20G, I have both the Sponge filter and the Aquoen Quietflow 10. Instead of cartridges, I stuff the Aqueon filters with foam made for the Aquaclear filters. That way I don't have to spend $ to replace cartridges every few weeks. Just swish them out in old tank water every 2-3 weeks.

A sponge filter will be the cheapest and easiest to maintain - no moving parts or motor BUT it needs an airpump and they can be noisy.

The Internal Tetra filters also pretty quiet. I stuff them with foam as well. The good thing with them is they go inside the tank and don't have off the back.

Supposedly you want 2X the filtration so if you have a 20G tank, you want a filter for a 40G tank. However the bigger the filter, the stronger the current - which is why I have the HOB and sponge filter in the 20G. And live plants
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote