Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #1 
Lena N

Starting up 5G tank frst time in life, advice needed. Please!

Today finally arrived my Eco complete (I love it by the way).
So I planted tank (5 G Fluval Spec) + regulated heater (set on 78F)

1. Eco complete substrate
2. Stones (decoration), not sure what kind
3. Drifted wood
4. Plants (Anubias, Elodea, Criptocorina and some small grass looking like Criptocorina).
5. Water (Since I keep my Bettas in soft water, which is Crystal Gyzer, I read that must change for hard (higher PH, tap water in my case) gradually. That is why I pured only Crystal gyzer into tank.

Questions:
1. I did not put any water conditioner. I want to start adding tap water slowly when betta there and do not want to mix conditioners. I have Prime and Aqua Safe Tetra. What should I use for tap water and would not Prime slow sycle?
2. I did not put any tablets (though I have Jungle start up kit). I thought Eco cmplete would do the job. Am I right? I did not wash it and the water is crystal clear now. I just love Eco complete.
3. What are my next steps? When do I do water tests?
When I do next water changes.
4. When can at least one of my Betta go there?
. For how many hours do I turn light for plants next days?

By the way, I was so tired in the evening (it is when I was planting tank), I chipped my new Fluval ....

Thank you very much for reading and willing to help!

Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena N View Post
Today finally arrived my Eco complete (I love it by the way).
So I planted tank (5 G Fluval Spec) + regulated heater (set on 78F)

1. Eco complete substrate
2. Stones (decoration), not sure what kind
3. Drifted wood
4. Plants (Anubias, Elodea, Criptocorina and some small grass looking like Criptocorina).
5. Water (Since I keep my Bettas in soft water, which is Crystal Gyzer, I read that must change for hard (higher PH, tap water in my case) gradually. That is why I pured only Crystal gyzer into tank.

Questions:
1. I did not put any water conditioner. I want to start adding tap water slowly when betta there and do not want to mix conditioners. I have Prime and Aqua Safe Tetra. What should I use for tap water and would not Prime slow sycle? - Prime does NOT slow the cycle, it detoxes ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & removes chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, etc.
2. I did not put any tablets (though I have Jungle start up kit). I thought Eco cmplete would do the job. Am I right? I did not wash it and the water is crystal clear now. I just love Eco complete. - Can't answer this one, I've never used Eco Complete.
3. What are my next steps? When do I do water tests?
When I do next water changes. - If you are doing a fish IN cycle, test daily with a liquid water test kit. If ammonia/nitrites are >.25 do a water change, if nitrAtes >20 do a water change, if PH <6.7 do a water change
4. When can at least one of my Betta go there? - You can put your fish at any time if you're going to do a fish IN cycle. Since you didn't use a water conditioner I would either let the tank run for at least 24 hrs or add the conditioner before you add your fish.
5. For how many hours do I turn light for plants next days? - My lights are on 8-10 hrs each day. 3 of my tanks have the time split; they come on for 3 hrs off for 3 hrs & then back on for 7 hrs. My other 2 tanks lights are on for 9 hrs.

By the way, I was so tired in the evening (it is when I was planting tank), I chipped my new Fluval ....

Thank you very much for reading and willing to help!
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #3 
Lena N

shellieca Thank you! Your answer is big help! I would defenitelly do smth wrong without it.
I will use Prime from now.
Information about water tests and levels are very valuable, thanks a lot!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I hope it helps. Ask more questions if you need to. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #5 
Lena N

shellieca THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Today I am going to let Blueno in 5 G tank as one of his pelvic fin started to curle.

The tank was started 4 days ago. Elodea a little bit melting probably because is so hot in room the water temperature without heater 81F.

I checked water parameters.
API test kit
Ammonia 0.0 (there is no fish...)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 (but I am not sure 100%, this test a little tricky as needed to be shaked well)
HP between 8-8.2
There is drift wood, I am not sure why HP is so high. Will try to find almond leaves in store today. Could stones make HP high?

My question is can I let him in with such parametres?
Also I want to remind you I did not add any tablets with beneficial bacteria...

Thank you.

Last edited by Lena N; 04-07-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #6 
SamJustice

Some types leech things that can.
Where did you get them?
If pulled from outside, do you know what type they are & did you clean them prior?
If you do not their type, did you do the vinegar test on them? (put a piece in a cup of vinegar overnight. If cloudy or residue in the cup, do not put it in the tank, as it has things that will leech overtime and cause chemical imbalances.)
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena N View Post
shellieca THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Today I am going to let Blueno in 5 G tank as one of his pelvic fin started to curle.

The tank was started 4 days ago. Elodea a little bit melting probably because is so hot in room the water temperature without heater 81F.

I checked water parameters.
API test kit
Ammonia 0.0 (there is no fish...)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 (but I am not sure 100%, this test a little tricky as needed to be shaked well) - Not unusual for a brand new tank to have 0 nitrAtes. Hit BOTH bottles against the heal of your hand & make sure to shake the vial gently after putting in the drops from the 1st bottle before adding the 2nd set of drops.
HP between 8-8.2 - this is fine & could be the cause of the fin curl. Did you do the low Ph & then the high Ph test? Was the low Ph test off the chart for the low?
There is drift wood, I am not sure why HP is so high. Will try to find almond leaves in store today. Could stones make HP high? I'll defer this to the other poster who advised on it.

My question is can I let him in with such parametres? - Yes, you will be doing what is a called a fish IN cycle. You will need to test daily, do a water change if ammonia or nitrites are >.25, nitrates >20 or Ph drops below 6.5. Nitrites will usually show within 1-2 wks & nitrates usually start showing around this time. Cycling can take 8 wks give or take. Make sure you acclimate him properly, put him in cup with enough water for him to comfortably swim around, float him in his cup in the new tank, add a tablespoon of tank water every 15 minutes, do this for at least an hour, then gently release him.

Also I want to remind you I did not add any tablets with beneficial bacteria...

Thank you.
I would suggest you test your tap water, this will give you a baseline for your water parameters. I would do 2 tests, 1 test it straight out of the tap, 2nd test, put some water in a glass, stir it occasionally for a 24 hr period & then test it.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #8 
Lena N

Dear shellieca, thank you for being kind answering me. I am sorry I do not answer at once, to tell the truth I wish already I had 1 fish, not 3. It is pretty difficult to take care about them if you care.
Ok, what I did. I let Blueno in tank, he really loves it. He looks healthier and happier tha before.
I tested water the day before yesterday.
There reading were:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0,25
Nitrate between 0-5.0 ppm
PH 8.2
I did 40% change that day.

I did not test water yesterday as I test water for two other fishes for ammonia every next day. And I must say these tests are pretty harmful for humans too. The smell of chemicals really iritates me when I wash those glass tubes. Also those API glass tube do not cap very well, when I shake them the leak...Do you know what other tubes can I use for those so they would not leak?

So test results today.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0ppm
PH tests results were weird, so I think mybe I made mistake.
PH -more than 6.7
High PH -less than 7.4
I am not sure if I have to do large water change today. I will do 25% and will wait for your answer. If I need to do larger water change, please advise it.

My other fish Cherryk has a fin rot and sits isolated in small jar (because I put it to float in tank for keeping the same temperature) with medicines 2nd day now and 100% water change daily. Poo guy, he does not like it...Hope he will survive that. I even gave gim blood warms soaked in garlick. He was pretty smart to spit them out and wait untill they will lose garlic taste...

By the way I have a lot of plants in tank, some are melting (crips and Ahanaris), maybe this causes Nitrates high.

Last edited by Lena N; 04-12-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #9 
Lena N

Oops, I just read that nitrates must be nor lower than 10 ppm