Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #1 
belleangel33

HAs anyone tried the leave dad with fry method?

HI all! I was wondering if anyone has tried the leaving dad with the fry method? I have read of a few experienced breeders trying this with some good results. Two of the advantages I have read have been that the fry grow faster and that dad doesnt get depressed because he stays with his brood.

I would love to hear about anyones experience with this method and thanks in advance!
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 
caissacrowntails

I think so..and here is the link to "similar" question http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=130907 :)
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Advantages of Leaving dad in:
- Most fry will survive the critical stage (first week)
- Not sure about fry growing faster . . . not always.
- Dad will cull the weaker ones.
- Dad may not be depressed BUT dad might become very weak if he wasn't healthy enough.
- reduce aggression longer
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #4 
justmel

How would go handle feeding of dad if you left him with the fry? I know you don't want a lot of extra food and waste in there. Would there be any other changes in the way the set up of the spawning tank should be handled if you left the dad in? And 1 more question, when would you finally remove him if you did leave him? Until you separate the fry due to aggression or before?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #5 
Option

In my opinion, I don't think there is as much danger in leaving the dad in as people out there claim. I think it's just a big fear since the norm has always been to take the dad out. There are plenty of success stories of leaving the dad in if you just look around on this forum and others.

And you can certainly feed the dad while he is in with the fry. But the reason you should be cautious about this is the water quality that becomes compromised when you feed the dad - whether it be the waste produced by the dad or just the uneaten food that fouls the fry's water. So for these reasons alone I would take the dad out or at least minimize the amount you feed the dad if you decide to leave him with his fry.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #6 
belleangel33

Thanks for all your responces!
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I often leave dad in until I want to breed him again (about 1-2 months). The longest I've kept dad in is about 4 months. But at that age I often replace dad with another rather docile male. Just remember NOT to flare dad because this may induce breeding mode and aggression. IME if he wants to breed again, dad may kill 1 month old fry to protect his nest (his behavior is different if you leave the whole "family" together - but older fry will eat newborns)

I over feed live food (mainly tubifex and daphnia) so I have no problem. He (and fry) could eat when ever he/they want. I don't use feeding schedule until fry could eat frozen blood worms. By then I would have taken dad out.

To avoid ammonia build up, simply change more water which is also good for fry growth.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #8 
DezernGirl

That is interesting. I have never heard of doing this. I think I will research some on it! I may give this a go sometime!
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote