Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #1 
mermaid77

Day 9 of AQ treatment with no improvement...

Hi guys :) More concerns here....:(
This will be Inuyasha's 9th day of AQ treatment with no noticeable improvement...
I have followed the recommended dose of salt listed on the sticky for HITH, which is 3 tsp/gal...water temp 80-81F, and of course, 100% daily water changes...Trouble is, his fin rot is also being resistant to treatment...which I find odd since he's being aggressively treated at three times the concentration that would normally require AND it's not that bad to begin with...some minor black edging on his pectoral fins mostly and a speck or two had also returned on his caudal fin... :S

Though there's been no improvement, his condition hasn't worsened either...the salt seems to be stalling it...

The other good news is that his good spirits have never faltered...still active, eating well, and even has resumed building a couple of bubble nests since he's been back in his 1,5g QT tank..

I fear the situation is going to get more complicated from here...The salt should've helped for both issues...but, as I take the next step with meds...if I'm not mistaken, I'll have to use API General Cure for HITH and API Triple Sulfa for the rot...That's going to most definitely be hard on him :(

Is there something that will successfully treat both? If not, may I give him a breather for a couple of days before starting him on his first med...? Or would that just build up more resistance? I hate to put him through all this...
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #2 
Stone

maybe this might help I used it for ich once and it worked....http://www.petco.com/product/118189/...Treatment.aspx
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #3 
mermaid77

Thanks Stone :)

I stopped by Petco today and picked up the two meds I mentioned...I also had a look at this Lifeguard product...it didn't list HITH as one of the treatable diseased with it...and if the store associate is to be believed, apparently HITH isn't often successfully treated...

I'll go ahead and hope for the best...

On a brighter note...I also walked away with another baby betta...I think it's best I stay away from pet stores for a while or risk becoming a betta hoarder lol I've reached my limit though..hehe...depending on what gender this one turns out to be, it'll be roomies with either Inuyasha or my young female Peewee (that I have yet to properly name ).
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #4 
nel3

mu DT has aq salt resistant rot also it seems. im using jungle's fungus eliminator and it seems to be doing well. the rot has subsided 99% within 9 days. its been very minimal-> gone for 2 days.

i didnt have triple sulphate but i have general cure. i just used JFE for the time being. i dont know how the 2 meds will work for you as i never tried them but i hope they work.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

I have been watching this thread as I could be in the same boat. My fish is in early fin rot stage. He came that way. With all of the less than lovely stories I have seen about rot. I am debating on abandoning the salt and getting medicine. The thing is I don't see stories of success with AQ salt with fin rot. I know it can work for ammonia sores in early stages and I even saw it get rid of some mold on a fin on the same fish. Nothing so far for fin rot. I picked up 3 fish at box store that had some dirty water and issues.....

Hmm... Betta Hoarder . I laughed when I saw that. We want to call ourselves betta rescuers but perhaps it could become hoarding. I have 10.
Anyway please post how your fish does with the medicine you bought it may help my fish in the near future.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

I've never been able to use the salt successfully either. Within a day my guys get lethargic and don't want to eat *from* the lowest concentration of the salt, so I just started steering away from it in general.

I've used the Jungle med to treat a lot of different things, and it seems pretty effective for most of them. I've never done HITH though...so I can't speak to that one. But, I will say, it does seem to be fairly gentle on them, and they don't seem to have much distress while they're on it. (Unlike my experience with AQ salt.)

The ingredients in the JFC/E are these: sodium chloride (salt), nitrofurazone (antibiotic), furazolidone (antibiotic), potassium dichromate (salt that's used for parasites and as the nature of salt itself, for bacterial and fungal infections)

So these ingredients may be very similar to what you've already picked up. There seems to be quite a bit of overlap in a lot of the medications. :)

Good luck to you with your little guy though!!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote