Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #1 
sallyjeans

Unhappy Betta Emergency

Hello! I am new to this forum. I used to have a 55gal and a 29gal, but I had to leave those with my ex-husband years ago. I decided to get back into the hobby on a small scale. Now I have one betta.

I moved my betta from a half gallon bowl to a newly cycled three gallon eclipse last night. He swam around at first loving the new space. Then, he found his reflection. He naturally started flaring at his reflection at the back of the tank. I turned the tank lights off to diminish the glare. He still spent his time at the back of the tank flaring. I put a background on the tank. STILL, hanging out in the back flaring. He has enough plants and places to hide, but still room to swim in the middle of the tank. He refuses to leave the back and refuses to stop flaring. This morning before I turned the lights on in the living room (I live in a basement apartment and it is always dark), I took a look at him. He wasn't in the back flaring. So, I turn on the living room lights that are far away from the tank. Back he went and flaring again. I covered 3/4 of the tank. He is STILL flaring.

I don't know if he just needs to get used to the reflective acrylic tank walls or if maybe moving around the decor may help. I don't want to add more stress for him, but as I love fish, I hate seeing him this way. I don't know what else to do. It is cold in my apartment, too cold for the fish, which is why I moved him from a bowl to a tank that I could heat properly. I hate to put him back in the small, cold bowl.

Any advice??? Anyone have this problem before and find a solution?
sallyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #2 
Kim

I'd give him a little more time to get used to it. There have been a lot of posts like this in the past, and in the end the bettas usually get used to it (in fact I can't remember there ever being one where the problem wasn't resolved).

My own betta flared for about a day just because I switched his background from one with rocks on it to a black one ;)
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think he'll be ok after awhile. I have never heard of a betta who flared himself to death. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #4 
veganchick

I would at a cave, and some fake and real plants... That'll prly help
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

A cave or plant would be nice for him to hide in if he feels insecure.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #6 
sallyjeans

Thanks for the advice. I practically covered the tank so that he could get more used to the place without seeing his reflect. I plan to uncover it a little at a time.

A cave would be a great idea. I have some fake plants in and a couple clear hiding places, but they are clear. A cave would be better. Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how it goes.
sallyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #7 
veganchick

ok, awesome!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote